Thread: Shaheenis' Red Wagonister - 92AWD

RSLC Wh0re BIG POSTER shaheenis's Avatar

Default Shaheenis' Red Wagonister - 92AWD

Well I thought it might be time to post a thread to show off the beast after 10yrs of owning her.

Purchased in 2003 from the first Australian owner who imported from Japan.

This one is officially a 1992 Legacy GT (G1S2) which is basically the auto version of the 1992 RS Turbo with some extras. Once these things are modified it is almost impossible to tell them apart. I purchased the vehicle dead stock not a single mod with 150K and now sits at around 250K but much has been replaced and renewed over the last 10 years and it truly has been a labour of love.

I don't know what else to write without writing a book so I have included some recent photos and some mods off the top of my head. I am sure like some other forum members I feel like I have one of best condition wagons in Australia but to be honest I don't see too many in person, just in photos which are never the same. Besides some paint blemishes in areas she is in excellent nic and I have been a very pedantic owner doing the majority of mechanical and servicing myself, in fact everything except for the actual engine rebuild and gearbox rebuild. I know the car intimately and have pulled most parts off at one stage or another either to inspect, replace or renew. In the last 5 years the bonnet, roof, scoop, front bar and grille have been re-sprayed just so the paint looks better. The rear bar needs a re-spray as a bit shabby up close.

Link to recent pics photo album:
    http://s1293.photobucket.com/user/sh...w/Red%20Rocket

So here we go:

Factory options:
    • Climate Control (over $2K spent in last 2 years - new condensor, rebuilt compressor, new hoses etc)
    • ABS
    • Electric Drivers Seat
    • Electric Folding side mirrors
    • Anti-jacking door locking at 10kph - disabled
    • Reverse beeper (yes that's right - disabled ;))
    • Performance mode and Manual mode on Auto (working)
    • Roof rails (removed but repainted and have all parts)
    • Illuminated ignition
    • Central locking (replaced with remote & immobilliser)

Under the bonnet:
    • Custom built EJ22T with forged internals - built by Serge - Flat Four Performance
    • Wiseco Pistons, Eagle Rods, ARP headstuds, EJ25 1.6mm Steel head gaskets
    • MY97 Re-built heads
    • VF28 Turbo ported
    • 440cc Yellow Top injectors
    • Walbro fuel pump
    • Parallel Fuel Rails
    • Phenolic spacers (intake and radiator filler tank)
    • 3-port Catch-can (with custom valved breather system)
    • GFB Plumback BOV
    • FMIC with custom stainless piping to suit rotated comp housing.
    • AMAuto CAI with K&N in-guard POD

Exhaust
    • RA Headers (port matched, de-burred, ceramic painted inside and out, heat wrapped mid-pipe)
    • Stock up-pipe (port matched, de-burred, ceramic painted inside and out, heat wrapped)
    • AM Auto Dump pipe (divorced, full stainless steel with splitter)
    • Fujitsubo 3" CAT back (Jasma approved) + high flow metal CAT

Transmission
    • 4EAT Gearbag with 4.11 ratios, fully re-built with tweaked line pressures, new belts and clutches ($7.5K between me and previous owner :O)
    • High stall converter stalls at 3500rpm (I have stock stallie too)
    • 2nd Oil Trans cooler in series with factory cooler

Engine Management
    • V2 STI RA 7K ECU, factory boost control - ~16psi (runs 440s well with increased capacity of 2.2ltrs..)

Suspension,Handling and Brakes
    • STI Struts ~2000 all round, SPEC-C rears with King Lows (struts serviced when fitted)
    • Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit (ALK)
    • Whiteline Rear Heavy Duty Adjustable Sway Bar
    • WRX 4-pot brakes on front
    • Gen2 GTB Sporty Steering rack
    • 17" STI Gold Rims (in excellent condition)

Audio & Other
    • Liberty GTB front seats leather and cloth - very nice seats
    • Pioneer MP3 Head unit
    • Alpine 6' Spec-S Splits in front
    • Pioneer 6' 3-way's in rear
    Last edited by shaheenis; 28th March 2017 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Changed ECU as it changed
    Shaheenis (Tim)
    Turbo EJ22 Powered Legacy GT Wagon at 16psi, slush style.
    Forged EJ22 (Wiseco, Eagle, ARP, ACL), MY98 Heads, ported VF28, V2 RA 7K ECU, Tough VTD 4EAT 3500 stall, 440s, FMIC, AMAuto CAI,
    RA ported headers, 3" Fujitsubo w/ AMAuto divorced dump, STI struts, Whiteline, Walbro, ||rails,

It really is beautiful. Amazing dedication right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    He thought he was in a magical land of wizards, dwarfs and dragons and honest politicians and Top 40 music that didnít suck dog-wang.

Christopher Skase on Acid rossimo's Avatar

Looks awesome.

I've always wanted to see more of this wagon after seeing it in your sig as it looked so clean, and it is.

I would sell my first born for this car if it wasn't auto. Beautiful.

Not to bad so what does it run a 1/4 mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by dja
    Almost everyone i know gets fucked by their car, not the other way around.

My Ride
    http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...gon&highlight=

Still one of my favorite Wagons, nicely modded not too over the top, just well thought out upgrades.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004 Liberty GT Premium Wagon in Black
    std =117Kw add a AMauto CAI/Dump =127Kw, Ecu reflash tune =165.3Kw

SO tidy!

Never sell it.
    Everytime one of us sells a wagon, some kid smashes it
    Quote Originally Posted by rec01l
    Northern hemisphere engines rotated in the opposite direction, legacys included.
    This means they require an anti-timing belt and a different orientation on the water pump polariser

Thanks for the nice comments guys. It has it's gremlins too like I am sure they all do but I will disclose those to a potential buyer if and when I sell it.

Likeanother I have not run it down the strip or dyno'd it with the new motor and some of the upgrades. I always wanted to run it down the strip once I had the Haltech installed with 18psi, the VF23 and the high stall converter, I expect it would have done ok. I am sad to say the new motor has never seen above stock boost.
    Shaheenis (Tim)
    Forged EJ22 (Wiseco, Eagle, ARP, ACL), MY98 Heads, ported VF28, V2 RA 7K ECU, Tough VTD 4EAT 3500 stall, 440s, FMIC, AMAuto CAI,
    RA ported headers, 3" Fujitsubo w/ AMAuto divorced dump, STI struts, Whiteline, Walbro, ||rails,

Performance mode and Manual mode on Auto (working)
    I thought your car didnt come with a power switch? This is what i was talking about wiring up for you.
    Why lower it, when you can LIFT it!

SUBARU ECU DATA CABLES HERE

Dane the power mode on mine is activated when you blip the throttle and it stays enabled until you back off the accelerator. You were going to enable it fulltime somehow;).
    Shaheenis (Tim)

cool now I remember. they all have that mode but for some reason yours is missing the switch that goes with it. definately worth sorting out as the switch lets you have the more responsive shift map without having to mash the throttle.

maybe we should have an RSLC drag night at willowbank? imkeen to see what the H6 does
    I have too many choices which one will I take?

If I had a pic it would be here!

That's what this is its a squirrell mincer!

Trusted Traders: KEZZA,CRZYRS,ERAYZA,BOOSTWAGON,SHANIEL,KENAN

I have just updated this thread with some engine management changes. As you may remember I purchased a Haltech E8 with plans to tune up the VF23 and get down to the drags to see what the setup was capable of. Sadly life has moved on and I just don't have the time to spend and plan to sell the car. I have now sold the VF23 and also sold the Haltech which I never installed. I recently purchased a V2 STI RA ECU (7K) from Terry on the forums and have installed it alongside the VF28 to get this back to a quick street car running a bit closer to its potential with higher boost and more aggressive tune on the 7K ECU while retaining the benefits of a stock ECU. I am still running 440 injectors which I have been for years and they run well but I think they are delivering more fuel than I need so looking now at options to reduce fueling to get improved responsiveness and driveability. Will start a separate thread on this but I am looking at either swapping out the 440s for the original grey tops and tweaking the pressure to allow head room up to lets say 180-190kws assuming the car will run at around 170kws if I up the boost to 18psi. Alternatively I keep the 440s and drop the pressure below stock reg base pressure which I am reluctant to do because the 440s are already designed to run higher fuel pressure so this may adversely effect the spray pattern and performance.

I am keen to get this sorted and get out to Willowbank for a send off and see how she goes. I would be happy to crack into the 13's but not too worried. I was hoping for mid to low 13's with the VF23 and stally.

I don't want to get rid of this car but the missus won't let me keep it forever. I have to choose between it and my first car (RA28 Celica Mustang back) which is a long term project car and I can't part with the RA28 *sniff*
    Shaheenis (Tim)

if you do end up at the drags let me know ill come for a look.

RSLC Vendor Supporting RSLC oversteer's Avatar

There isn't sfa difference between the grey 380 and yellow 440 as the reg that goes with the 440 runs 43psi as opposed to the 380's 36psi.... its likely the only reason you have been able to run the yellows reasonably well on the wrong ecu/tune... Stock ecu's are over fueled like crazy in the top right of the map also...ie lots of power to be had by getting rid of the fuel !. If you want to jigger it to boost and make some power you should get hold of a wide band and work out a way of getting around the boost cut, sounds like your engine is built to take anything a punny vf could dish out(even with the wg wired shut lol).

Dane, I will let you know mate. I will PM a question I have for you about reverse polarity TT TCU and whether that worked in Scott's car.

OS I did a lot of reading recently on archived threads to refresh my very rusty memory on this. Apparently they have been bench tested side by side same pressures and the 440s definitely flow more before you add the higher pressure reg as you say and the power potential equates to maybe 40kws or so. My motor is 2.2ltr so it needs around 10% more fuel and the 440s are probably giving it more like 15% so I suspect richer than optimal so I would love to see how it runs with less fuel.

I have reached out for a wideband in another thread so I can baseline the AFRs and go from there. The 380s should be ample but I want to up the pressure to make sure I have a bit of head room.

What are the optimal AFRs I should be aiming for?
    Shaheenis (Tim)

You car uses a afm in its current config...so just upping the injector size to account for increased capacity doesn't quiet work how you think, what the plugs look like will tell you something...

High 11's is the best afr.... the std RS afm is the biggest restriction to making power, more so the yellow's with the correct reg iirc.

Edit : I actually know where there is a Power FC and 90mm sti afm over here you could likely get cheap....

Yeah I remember the AFM being a limiting factor that the Haltech and MAP would address. Hopefully it has some headroom above what the standard injectors put out. I thought the AFM simply metered the air and applied more fuel as required. It doesn't actually know how big you injectors are or how rich the car is running, it will assume fuel delivery based on 380cc hence delivering ~10% more fuel across all open loop conditions ( perhaps my understanding is incorrect on this?). As I plan to get this car back into a respectable condition for sale and to keep cost down I want to stick with the best plugin ECU I can and tweak the boost and fueling to get the most out of it safely. So far the 7k ECU feels strong on boost but I feel it has a room for improvement. I am stuck with the boost limit of the ECU and as long as I can get 16psi that is ok. Whoever buys the car can then make their own choices around engine management if they want to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shaheenis (Tim)

You are right in your understanding of how the fuel based on afm works, i meant your assumption that a 2.2l would need the extra fuel based on the same metered airflow. Anyway use a wideband and see what you have...

PS : PFC is a no mod plug in option....that also allows larger afm options ;)
    PPS : Dirty trick to get around/raise boost cut...put a diode in map sensor signal line, .6v drop will fool the ecu into thinking its 17psi when it really ~21+ ;)

Thanks OS. You have a very valid point on the AFM that I hadn't considered. So I guess the duty cycle of the injectors increases with airflow and if so I agree the 2.2ltr would simply pull more air at the same revs and the AFM would see this and compensate fuelling. If this is the case 380s should perform better and it just becomes about headroom for peak power that I need to watch.
    Shaheenis (Tim)

Just got my set of 380s flow tested before re-fitting and all good. They flow 400cc at 40psi and from memory the factory FPR is around 37psi.

Have been trying to chase down an intermittent bearing squeal (really bloody loud when it comes on) and I think I have found it. The AC belt tensioner bearing spins freely but is noisy so I reckon under tension it is squealing. Time to press it out and fit a new one.
    Shaheenis (Tim)

Advanced n00b

Gorgeous car! I would kill for those door cards, I've never seen that pattern on the insert before, are those oem?

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimejoe View Post
    Gorgeous car! I would kill for those door cards, I've never seen that pattern on the insert before, are those oem?
    Thanks man yes they are one of the original import legacy gt options. The same pattern and fabric on front and rear seats (although I have front seats in storage). The fabric is very tough and hard wearing. I have never seen the same trim in all the many years of being on these forums.

Shaheenis (Tim)

Advanced n00b

Quote Originally Posted by shaheenis View Post
    Thanks man yes they are one of the original import legacy gt options. The same pattern and fabric on front and rear seats (although I have front seats in storage). The fabric is very tough and hard wearing. I have never seen the same trim in all the many years of being on these forums.

So cool man, I'll have to add them to my wish list!

Thread Information