Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Shitbox GF8 Sportswagon

RSLC Wh0re Event Organiser Bazza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rallyeee View Post
    I'm still here! Well in Canada for a few months actually. The shitbox is still going well, the the 2.5 has about 60 or 70Kkms of abuse on it now, kinda surprised I haven't killed it. I did melt a GTX35 turbine wheel recently, not sure how. The tune is fine but I do like to hang off the 8k limiter regularly (for lols) so maybe it didn't like all the explosions in the exhaust. That kinda sucked because it really wasn't very old and cost $2500 to replace. I've continued driving it the same but will still have a tantrum when it inevitably dies a year or two from now.

My snow tyres are down to belts now and I have a cracked windscreen so it needs some cash thrown at it again when I get back. Might fit some decent non-snow tyres and take it to the drags again. I think it probably has a high 10 in it, not sure but it's very noticeably quicker now than when it was doing 11.6s. The synchros on the 6 speed are pretty much gone on 4th and 5th so very hard get a clean run. Failed close to half of the runs last time and it's worse now. The box has a diff whine now too, I bought the poor thing over 10 years ago now so no surprise that it's tired but very surprising that it still works.

My motor has aftermarket rails that came with the Tomei manifold but still isn't parallel, it had standard rails for most of its life too. Doesn't necessarily mean parallel rails are a waste of time but unless you're running a very lean tune to milk every last kW I don't think it's necessary. I'd prefer to not have the tangle of fuel lines, plus the extra T-pieces are just another restriction to fuel flow. I wouldn't be surprised if aftermarket rails with good -6 line and fittings in a series setup actually gets more balance flow than many parallel setups, for reasons I couldn't be bothered elaborating on.

As for 30psi+... haha yeah not for a daily. SO little room for error and fatigue will get to it eventually.
    Very nice Sir. Sounds like the ole 6MT is a bit stuffed... not bad how much abuse you've given it.

With the parallel rails it's a long story but there's a thread on NASIOC about it and how even Subaru ran into issues and you can see it when you compare a few stock roms between new and old models and a huge valley of death where even Subaru had major issues trying to tune them in certain spots... as I said long story haha. If you've ever had issues with big injectors, parallel rails, big cams and not being able to idle at roughly the afr you want... it's the parallel rails without a doubt.
    10.9 @ 129 mph - 275 kw atw

Calder Park Subaru lap record.
    Sandown Subaru lap record.

Browny "Browno" McBrowntown BIG POSTER Rallyeee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
    Very nice Sir. Sounds like the ole 6MT is a bit stuffed... not bad how much abuse you've given it.

With the parallel rails it's a long story but there's a thread on NASIOC about it and how even Subaru ran into issues and you can see it when you compare a few stock roms between new and old models and a huge valley of death where even Subaru had major issues trying to tune them in certain spots... as I said long story haha. If you've ever had issues with big injectors, parallel rails, big cams and not being able to idle at roughly the afr you want... it's the parallel rails without a doubt.
    As tempted as I am to refresh the box with some new synchros and diff bearings, I think most of the gears are probably fatigued too and I'd probably be better off just putting up with it for as long as I can and then binning it. This one was $6k when I bought it, so at least they're far cheaper nowadays.

You can definitely get flow imbalances with parallel rails. It can be awkward to route the extra hosing in a cramped engine bay (try doing it neatly with an ITB manifold) and if you have a more convoluted path with tighter bends on one bank, there'll be pressure differences. My strategy was to use aftermarket rails with -6 Speedflow fittings and lines plumbed in series with a very neat and direct path. The less restrictive the setup, the better the flow and the smaller the pressure drop between the first and last injector. I also like to reduce the tangle of fuel lines and use braided hose so that if I have an engine fire, there's less change the fuel system will get involved and ruin my chances of putting the thing out with a shitty little extinguisher.

I also went with a Bosch pump instead of the more common Walbro. They're meant to flow better at higher pressures, which isn't surprising since they're a few times larger than the little Walbros. I don't run a lean tune (low 11 AFRs at 20psi), so I could probably get away with a completely standard setup but the manifold won't allow that anyway. Spending a whole paycheck on Speedflow parts stings a little but I've had an engine fire before thanks to a dodgy braided line from a cheaper brand. Luckily it was only PS fluid that time and I could put it out easily.

Anyway, some pics of the last time I had the engine out. My friend gave me some aluminium-backed heat wrap they use on boilers or something, I was worried it was flake and peel off but this stuff shits all over normal wrap, wish I'd known about it sooner. No idea where you buy it though and apparently it's super expensive. Way less glass fibre everywhere and if I get an oil leak, the wrap shouldn't soak up as much of it.

Last edited by Rallyeee; 14th January 2017 at 07:03 AM.

Skid vids:

EDIT: photobucket doesn't want to play ball anymore.
    Last edited by Rallyeee; 5th November 2017 at 04:13 PM.

Update on my shitheap, blew my clutch up (6spd Xtreme HD). I didn't wear it out, the housing on the clutch disc actually broke and fell to pieces, went with an Exedy HD and it looks much meatier in that area. The Xtreme kit just looked like they'd paired their own HD pressure plate with a cheap generic friction disc. It shifts noticeably better with the new clutch too, I think it must have not been disengaging squarely and was dragging one side. Sh*t clutch, won't be buying from them again.

2 weeks later I broke my 6 speed, didn't kill any gears but it twisted the output shaft and killed a bearing for one of the transfer gears. New '04 DCCD 6spd should arrive Tuesday, has been an expensive couple of weeks!

The Professor BIG POSTER Billsy's Avatar

well it sounds like the engines holding up just fine and putting out a healthy kw or 3
    Having a fast FWD is like coming out of the closet. Sure you will surprise some people but in the end, everyone knows you're gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Billsy View Post
    well it sounds like the engines holding up just fine and putting out a healthy kw or 3
    Haha yeah, so I replaced the 6 speed but still had some nasty noises... Turns out I also killed my R180 on the same launch, 2 diffs with one stone, bargain! I got a new crown wheel and pinion from Japan Parts because it turns out R180s are far less common than they used to be. Looked around a tonne of places and only found a couple of 3.9s. The brand new crown and pinion were cheaper anyway, under $650 landed. Also bought a new transfer gear to fix the broken 6 speed. Might pull it right apart and do the synchros.

Thread Information