Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't think RS has much longer to live. :(

Hybrid View

Default I don't think RS has much longer to live. :(

Where the fuck is everyone?

What's an "RX" if you dont have a "W"! HeHe

yes it is quiet these days most prob gone to Facebook maybe (not on Facebook so don't really know).

Same. Lot of good memory's in this place.

Pub crawls, cruzes, gokart days, crispy cream runs. I'd say the Skippys on the black spur knew our cars by sound in the end. Lol

over here in perth its is rare to see a nice rs on the road, now days i get the look of what the hell is that in a nice way and unfortunately they are worth stuff all.

Not on Facebook either. Unfortunately life takes over and you can only have so many cars. Don't have time for fixing cars anymore you only lose money there not make it haha
    2013 2500hd Silverado 2wd 6.6 Duramax 497hp/1355nm

Advanced n00b

Not just this forum

Ausubaru where I started is pretty much dead except for about 10 members (probably less) that are still actively posting at least once a week.

Subyclub is a large forum and even that seems to be slow these days.

I think moley hit the nail on the head - life takes over. Facebook hasn't helped with its apparent "convenience" to post/ask questions without the ability to search for posts even a week ago on busy pages.

The other issue is that the RS is an aging model. I doubt the forum is ever going to be as active as it was 10 or 15 years ago when these models were a-plenty to come across. Now it's more about restoring them or keeping the barn finds going in good condition.

Cheers

Bennie

Advanced n00b

It is not limited to AUS, also over here in Europe, Subaru forums are slowly starting to decay. From our original 30+ members small club, we have still a hard core of 10 attending meetings or coming to track days, but many have been lost on the way. Even more, 20 years ago, in Europe a legacy Turbo or Impreza was a top tip nobody knew about, reasonable priced speedy car. Back then a golf had 75hp, so a 200hp subaru turbo was a road rocket. Today everybody builds road rockets: golf R, Audi RS3, Mercedes A45, Focus RS etc. Many potential buyers switch to newer models which are not anymore subaru, because not competing WRC, some of the pedigree has been lost.

Another thing that can be noted over here is, that many of the old members in forums simply do not post anymore, because most things have been said already. And each 3rd post could be: try the search function. On the other hand, the remaining purists start building cars that are much more neat. I attended last year a european subaru meet, where my Legacy Gr.A replica was voted 3rd best looking race car, out of 350 subarus, and i didn't even prepare it especially, i just drove there.

how to sum it up: i found many friends in various subaru forums, friends i still have today and i am grateful for that. I own a very rare car, which turns heads at a traffic light more than a ferrari, on twisty tracks can compete with supercars and is a heap of fun in the snow. I am happy with my rs and will keep it running!

yeh will keep the old girl alive the car and the forum...

Unfortunately I think the whole forum model is a little outdated these days.
    Back when this forum was pumping all the social media platforms were quite new and only starting to get traction.

The "Off Topic" section tended to be everyone's outlet for chit-chat with some like-minded people, but I now find myself chatting with friends on FB or group chats rather than starting a random RS thread to pass the time.

That coupled with the fact that a lot of people have since moved on to newer model cars and aren't throwing their extra cash at a new turbo or other go fast bits.

Its a shame as the RS forum was (and still is) a great source of info and tended to attract an awesome crowd (compared to some other Suby forums)
    Jack

51 users online atm. Only 4 are members however.

Seems where the place to come to read up on info still.

bolt breaking bandit BIG POSTER mitch's Avatar

I blame Hodgey

He has done nothing since he has become a moderator!

And Billsy, that slack jawed yokel is usless.

But Hendo, keep posting those links bruffa! Man 20 years on a forum with only 32 posts, ur oarsome!!

The Professor BIG POSTER Billsy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mitch View Post
    I blame Hodgey

He has done nothing since he has become a moderator!

And Billsy, that slack jawed yokel is usless.

But Hendo, keep posting those links bruffa! Man 20 years on a forum with only 32 posts, ur oarsome!!
    lol, im still around, dont pop in every day, but frequently.
    theres been talk of a reunuion meet. but no ones put up their hand yet..

most of the members who made it now have families and shit.
    but a weekend pissup, some go karts and a cruise in mainly rental cars is always a blast still.

Mitch, i neknominate you to arrange Melbourne 2017, late NOV or early DEC is usually a good time.
    Having a fast FWD is like coming out of the closet. Sure you will surprise some people but in the end, everyone knows you're gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Billsy View Post
    lol, im still around, dont pop in every day, but frequently.
    theres been talk of a reunuion meet. but no ones put up their hand yet..

most of the members who made it now have families and shit.
    but a weekend pissup, some go karts and a cruise in mainly rental cars is always a blast still.

Mitch, i neknominate you to arrange Melbourne 2017, late NOV or early DEC is usually a good time.
    Ha! Early NOV/ DEC I will have another titty sucking shitting machine! So I doubt that very much James!

P.S Pretty hard to organise an event when you've been demoted!

Or trawl for people to spam on?
    It's weird because the Duramax forum (u.s based) has everything and it's busy every day but I suppose there are millions of them. I don't do Facebook or Twitter or any other social media shit. I like to hold on to the cup and string times as much as I can.��

Advanced n00b

I blame Hodgey
    Or Bumpty

Seriously though, forums are not outdated - just forgotten over facebook with their pushing of notifications etc. If they had their way they'd own the internet... wait 20 years and see what happens :/

People just have to stop being slack and adding to the forum, updating their posts etc and remaining passionate about their rides (and others where appropriate).

Personally I love forums over facebook - and am again relatively new on the forum. I used to drop in during the mid '00s wishing I had a turbo under the bonnet of my L. "Almost made it" - got the NA 22 in there. Now have an RS or two to play with. Love driving them (not often enough at the moment!). And I really appreciate a neat looking one too.

As for value, high km ones I can see why they're not worth much, many people balk at high kms even if the car is still good, mechanically strong and straight in the body. Kms are just a number if you accept the facts of older cars (and like to fix them up etc).

Anyway, I'll still be here, on ausubi, subyclub, offroadingsubarus (super slow forum, run by a true enthusiast), offroadsubarus and USMB from time to time. Not meaning to brag - just love sharing and reading info/stories ;)

Should we rally Subaru for an RS revival model like Holden did the Monaro??

Forum is not dead - it may not be in a "hay day" phase but it's certainly not dead! Let's not mourn it like it is already...

Cheers

Bennie

i still blame hodgey

fukin bean counters man, they ruin the world!

Hiya chris

i still blame hodgey

fukin bean counters man, they ruin the world!

Hiya chris
    I presume that's a typo and you meant "They run the world"

Got your cat running yet Mitch?
    RS Times: (RIP)
    Sandown - 1:31.8 (27Jun2010)
    Phillip Island - 1:57.7 (18Jul2010)
    Winton - 1:46.7 (Sept2010)

WRX Times:
    Sandown - 1:27.78 (25Mar2012) - http://racing.natsoft.com.au/6359933...9.80Q/Result?2
    Phillip Island - 1:46.62 (12Apr2015) - http://youtu.be/duK5W86KEzs
    Winton - 1:32.59 (12Aug2017) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDc2wpPbqGA&t=8s
    Mallala - 1:21.4 (4May2012) - http://youtu.be/2QBjSxs8yrE
    Marulan - 42.65 (15Mar2013) - Subaru Lap Record

I'm still here...
    The Forum opens with my home pages every day and I check the "What's New" page when it does.
    But you are right - not a lot of activity here anymore. Even I have been seduced by the fb dark side and I spend more time there these days. Probably has to do with the availability to check and post to it on my phone than any other reason?
    And I still have my pristine stock as a rock RS Turbo too...

I love this forum, check it every day! Without it my passion for the gen 1 Legacy Turbo wouldn't be what it is
    Never got around of doing a project thread for any of my cars though... Hope this forum never dies, the amount of information it has is irreplaceable!
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Quote Originally Posted by Fladric View Post
    I love this forum, check it every day! Without it my passion for the gen 1 Legacy Turbo wouldn't be what it is
    Never got around of doing a project thread for any of my cars though... Hope this forum never dies, the amount of information it has is irreplaceable!
    Well said. 100% agree.

Who's paying the bills and are we ok $$$ wise?

n00b

I just can't believe what I just read. I finally joined, and you are talking about this stuff...

don't worry it will keep going.....and welcome put some pics of your car up when you get a chance...

This is the most traffic I have seen in a while. I just think all you blokes quit when the 3000 thread closed ��

Mmmmmmmmm boobys.

Well can start again. A OT non subaru build thread would mean a few of us could post up our toys too.

The Professor BIG POSTER Billsy's Avatar

congrats mitch, you have 7 months to get everything in order then, you know whats coming
    Having a fast FWD is like coming out of the closet. Sure you will surprise some people but in the end, everyone knows you're gay.

Advanced n00b

Quote Originally Posted by moley View Post
    This is the most traffic I have seen in a while.
    I agree. Even if it did start out a bit dooms-dayish the extra forum traffic and replies are good to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Billsy View Post
    congrats mitch, you have 7 months to get everything in order then, you know whats coming
    Ooh, I *might* have my RS on the road by then. It'll be the bush pig of the group but anyway it'll be good to be in it. The main issue is too many cars on the road. I don't want to give up my ol' faithful L series offroader, I've got a brumby waiting to come online as a daily and my wide wont relinquish her car until it dies completely (long way off!).

We'll see what happens. Club rego next year if I've got my calculations correct! We'll probably see a revival of the forum in the vic chapter when this comes around (for the wagons anyway, some sedans will already be eligible this year).

Cheers

Bennie

personally,IMO the site died with Deefa. too much politics, too many dickheads who went to lengths to try and denigrate everybody.. the friendly banter became personal, the old school members got jack and left...

oh, and life took over ;)

Super Moderator BIG POSTER

Quote Originally Posted by cruisEH View Post
    personally,IMO the site died with Deefa. too much politics, too many dickheads who went to lengths to try and denigrate everybody.. the friendly banter became personal, the old school members got jack and left...

oh, and life took over ;)
    Someone's salty.

A little too rich to tie the memory of an unfortunate passing of an esteemed member along with unnecessary forum bitching.

Life goes on, as everyone has realised.
    They say money talks, all mine ever says is Goodbye

Quote Originally Posted by smoov View Post
    Someone's salty.

A little too rich to tie the memory of an unfortunate passing of an esteemed member along with unnecessary forum bitching.

Life goes on, as everyone has realised.
    Absolutely, and Im somewhat incensed that Deef has been brought into it.....
    "The thing is, itís a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the leverÖ ĎAm I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power station Ė Iím a gearbox! Oh, heavens, Iím gonna swap some cogs around!" - JC

I would find a loss in my soul if this place was not here. Stupid facecock! Lol

Moderator BIG POSTER

posting as proof of life. Still a useful source of information, I think people just interact very differently these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by dja
    im not a doctor
    Mr. Miyagi didn't teach the Karate Kid to believe in himself. He taught him how to kick people in the fucking head.

Quote Originally Posted by yods View Post
    posting as proof of life. Still a useful source of information, I think people just interact very differently these days.
    That's why I don't have Facebook etc. I went to a few events and no one talked unless they were sitting around messaging each other or scrolling through their shit to see what everyone else is doing.

I've been around for a few years. Although I'm not one of the old school guys, I still find myself looking through the forum every couple of days.

The level of spoon feeding that some people on Facebook expect is crazy, I always try and direct them to the forum but usually they don't bother.

I'm a member of a couple of forums but this one is by far the best IMO. Sadly its just not what it used to be with the takeover of social media and the like.

Moderator BIG POSTER Nathan|RST|'s Avatar

I think FB is more of a convenience thing. For example, to post a photo on the forum first you need to upload it to a photo sharing site then link to it.

Plus if you post something on FB, people have the option to just "like" rather than thinking of a reply.

I joined the club/forum over 10 years ago and things change. The forum is still great but isn't what it use to be for me. I was always on here enjoying the banter, sometimes about cars, organising catch ups and and this was all long before FB. This forum started from a Yahoo mailing list which I was also on which worked similarly to FB. All but I think two friends that I met through the club have sold up and moved on so they are never on this forum anymore. In Brisbane there's a small group of friends with RSs and we try to catch up semi regularly.

There's also not much left that I want to do to my RS, so I'm not planning the next mod and I don't ask questions. Nothing much changes so there's no build updates. And there are only so many times you can reply to a question about what grade of oil to use, what offset best suits the RS or what heads to use for your RS engine build. Plus I have a lot less free time now having a young family.

The forum has a wealth of knowledge, so I can't see it dying.

So just think, in 200 years or so, when your distant relatives are searching the internet for your digital footprint, they can read all the crap you posted on here!

Hi!

Boo!

I hope you're looking after my RS!
    Last edited by Nathan|RST|; 31st May 2017 at 08:32 AM.
    RS Liberty - CD EJ22T 2.35L GT30
    plus others.

Still a few of us with RS's in Melb catch up fairly regularly, they're becoming fewer and further between however (the cars)

Thread Information