Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fladric's pile of Subaru's

Hybrid View

Default Fladric's pile of Subaru's

Hi!

Have been lurking around this forum for a while without posting a thread about my cars
    I live in the northern of Sweden and I have always loved Subarus in different forms!

My first Subaru was a silver gen 1 Legacy Turbo wagon that had 420000 km on the clock. Ran but not more than that

Next I bought my gen 1 Legacy Turbo white sedan, got 130000 km on the clock when I bought it

This is how it looked when i bought it:

Now it looks like this, running a drivetrain (excluding engine) from a 2006 STI
    (not using it in the winter because of salt, was the best pic I had available)

Got a 1994 Legacy Turbo wagon too, running Tein SS coils and a Vos-chip:

My daily is a 2006 Outback 3.0R tuned by XRT:

And finally, my G1S1 Legacy Turbo RS rally car, runnig a Samsonas dog box and Link G4 tuned on 98 RON with a Holset HX30W with 34 mm restrictor

My goal is to fill this thread with updates on the build of the rallycar and other things I do to the cars!

Hope I can do my part in keeping this forum a little bit more alive!
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

First I'd like to make a small update about my daily, gave it a wash and but some OEM mud flaps on it a few days ago

Think it turned out great

Next I have some updates about the rallycar! Have removed the runnig gear from it to refurbish the Bilstein suspension and change the bushings, the stock ones are pretty bad after 27 years

Going to mount newage aluminium front control arms so presing out the old bushings from them

I also found why my old 5 speed gearbox that I used in the first race broke, think a gear is bad

I have a MapDCCD box going in to control the DCCD in the Samsonas dogbox super excited for the next race in June the 10th

Will keep the updates coming!
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Now that's how you make a forum of Subaru fans green with envy. Apart from the pieces of 5 speed of course. You can keep them. LOL

PS Be careful using the dog box at first to. Very easy to hit 1st not 3rd on a bumpy road or a high gee bend and not know till the clutch is out. It just pops into any gear the same way.
    What's an "RX" if you dont have a "W"! HeHe

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Now that's how you make a forum of Subaru fans green with envy. Apart from the pieces of 5 speed of course. You can keep them. LOL

PS Be careful using the dog box at first to. Very easy to hit 1st not 3rd on a bumpy road or a high gee bend and not know till the clutch is out. It just pops into any gear the same way.
    Hehe, thanks Yeah, a broken 5-speed is not something to be envy of Drove the last stage with only 3rd gear! Thought I just had bent the gear selector because I only had 3rd gear but turned out to be more!

I can imagine, will have to do some testing before the first race!
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

great collection of subarus there...

Advanced n00b

Very nice collection of Subarus - I particularly like the number of RSs you're running

Keep up the good work, the updates and most importantly - the pictures ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks, I kinda like them too Keeps me busy though

Took the white sedan to a local spring car meet last weekend, got some good pics sent to me from a friend

"If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Did some wrenching on the rally car and the Outback yesterday!

Had to check the rear right brake caliper on the Outback, had developed a disturbing noice that occured when I had driven for a while.
    Turned out to be the rear right brake pads that was stuck and didn't move freely in the caliper! Took them out and gave them a sanding, now it works like a charm

Got some parts from the UK for the rally car, new front drive shafts for 79, cheap I think

Also got new bushings for the rear, including all new OEM hardware with camber bolts and everything

Got the tank empty from fuel using an old fuel pump. Removed the front right LCA and hub so I can change the wheel bearing
    Waiting for new bushings for the newage LCA so I can mount them. Will update next week, hoping to get alot more done!
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Double post...
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

PS You seem to have to hit F5 to refresh the screen after you hit post before your new post shows up. Not sure why?

Thanks for the update.
    Thanks for reading I find it fun to update a thread with progress, also keeps track of the changes I do to the cars!

PS You seem to have to hit F5 to refresh the screen after you hit post before your new post shows up. Not sure why?
    Had problem with my internet connection, think that was the cause
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Double post...
    Last edited by Fladric; 19th May 2017 at 05:58 PM.

Thanks for the update.

Hi!

Got the front LCAs cleaned up a bit and new bushings put in for the rally car Have been going slowly, to slowly for a month now! Need to hurry up to get the car running before the 10th of June

Will update more as it goes this week!
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Hello!

Needed a new rear diff with 3.9 gearing for the Samsonas gearbox so took one of one of my spare parts cars, a 2.2 Legacy

Looks like crap but has only done 14k km so it should be in good nick Might weld it because the LSD diff I have is in the southern of Sweden on a rebuild but doesn't have the right gearing... Will se how I solve it!

Cleaned some parts up, including the struts and the fuel tank Tank looked good, fuel hoses didn't! changing all hoses for new rated for E85

Tried changing to new steering components (inner and outer joints) but realised my steering rack is leaking badly!
    Have a newer one from a -99 GC8 with 9k on it that I will mount and then see if I can get a rebuild kit for the stock one

Over and out!
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

These posts are an ever widening window into how complex and nuts your life is. How many cars do you have? LOL

PS Watch out for them studs on your fuel tank. They snap off if you put more than 0.0000001Nm on them. Little farkers they are!

These posts are an ever widening window into how complex and nuts your life is. How many cars do you have? LOL
    Haha, I have a bit too many sometimes Have 3 spare parts Legacys, two turbo and this 2.2! Actually, this 2.2 is a bit of a funny story, bought it with a built turboed EJ22 and a Link G4 PnP (the ECU that now is in the rally car) The EJ22 still hade the NA heads but with a custom made cam shaft and polished and ported heads Still running NA gearbox so it killed 3 boxes for the last owner!
    When I bought it it didn't start, was a few electrical faults and a bad FPR (china, the seals were gone!) that caused it. Got it running and drove it for a few months but it didn't pass inspecion because of rust, and lots of it! The body is not saveable, too much work! But was a cool car when it was built

Bad pics but lots of cool colours in the engine bay

While talking of my cars, my dad bought my old rally car from me when I got the Legacy!

It is a MK1 Golf GTI 1.8l Awesome little car that is! Very nimble and fun to drive

PS Watch out for them studs on your fuel tank. They snap off if you put more than 0.0000001Nm on them. Little farkers they are!
    Yepp, the rally car actually have very healty bolts for the most! The tank bolts are as good as new
    But yeah, those bolts can be a pain in the as!
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Such a shame it's so rusty. Looks really good on the outside.

Such a shame it's so rusty. Looks really good on the outside.
    Yeah, the whole rear archs are gone, someone must have tried to fix them once in it's lifetime and just used filler and then painted over it! The sills are also gone, only 60% left of them... The salt in the winter is what is killing them!

https://www.garaget.org/?car=129400

https://www.garaget.org/?car=274758

Here are som more pics of it from previous owners (The links are to a Swedish for cars, almost like facebook for your car!)
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Far out! See what you mean.

550Nm on a stock NA box! Lol

550Nm on a stock NA box! Lol
    Haha yeah, no idea what they were thinking! The engine is waiting for one of my road cars to have a engine failure

Assembled my Samsonas dogbox yesterday, made a new electrical harness for the DCCD-diff because the old one was very damaged

Also started mocking up my catch tank setup in the boot

Today the box is going into the car
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

So fuel surge tank. Eg lift pump into surge tank and pressure pump from that to motor.

You got E85 over there?

So fuel surge tank. Eg lift pump into surge tank and pressure pump from that to motor.

You got E85 over there?
    Yes exactly Had huge problems with fuel surge last race! Anything under 3/4 tank would surge on cornering.

Yepp, goes down to E75 in winter for cold start properties of E85 cars. Will be going that route sooner or later!
    Running it on 98 RON right now but the hoses I changed to while the tank was down are E85 compatible
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Hi!

Have done alot of wrenching the last few days.

The rally car is nearly completed, just had som problems with gear linkage and the wrong clutch fork!
    Got a friend to fab a custom link part for the gearbox, my home made drawing below

The box in the car.

Realized I had been sent a 5 speed clutch fork with the box, after the box was in the car...

Doesn't fit as one can see!

The thing is that the person I bought the box from is running a 5 speed fork on his 6 speed box so now I'm a bit lost!

Is it possible to use a 5 speed clutch fork on a 6 speed box?????

Doesn't fit for me anyway...

Other than that I have completed the rest of the car as far as I can without the gearbox in place!

Replaced the bad steering rack with a better one, mounted new hardware on it.

Had some problems with the rear diff, new bushings made it really hard to fit! After som force and alot of persuation it finally mounted up

Also finished up my fuel surge tank setup, came out pretty nice I think (will need som ecleaning up before its done)

A new 6 speed clutch fork is arriving today so hopefully it solves my problems so I can have a running car today
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Top stuff!

I know there is two different types of clutch fork. Push style and pull style. Subaru like to keep you on your toes. LOL

PS Not sure if this is of use to you but I found it useful in making my mind up about e85. -----------> http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...49#post1122549

Page 119 if you want the short answer.

Top stuff!

I know there is two different types of clutch fork. Push style and pull style. Subaru like to keep you on your toes. LOL
    Yeah, and aparently two different pull style forks too!

PS Not sure if this is of use to you but I found it useful in making my mind up about e85. -----------> http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...49#post1122549

Page 119 if you want the short answer.
    Awesome, thanks! I'm an engineer in energy technics (surely has a fancy english name I dont remember) so love a nice article or report

Back to the car, got the 6 speed clutch fork by mail and mounted it in the car. Bam, fits like a glove

Started assembling the rest of the car and a few hours later I fired her up again

Awesome feeling! Went through the gears and the box feel nice, reverse even works too

Test drive tomorrow, hope to get som more pics and even a movie or two
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

It's a 130 page thesis so enjoy.

It's a 130 page thesis so enjoy.
    Saw that, thanks! Always nice to have some theory behind the choices one makes
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Have a road I can test the car on this evening! Hope it works as it should
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

Have fun.

That is exactly what I had

Mounted the sump guard and some other bits and loaded the car on the trailer for a test drive on a friends road outside my town

We were greeted by lots of mosquitoes

Got some short clips in action, sounds pretty mean I think

https://youtu.be/W-YYbb9M6vU

https://youtu.be/y4H2dfuGo2E

Everything works perfectly, the dogbox is a dream to drive Had som minor problems with overheating steering servo fluid and two brake hoses touching the tires but nothing major

Did 4 passes just to make sure everything works, then we went home again

Back home I fixed the brake hoses and mounted them more safely A few fixes before saturdays race but feeling confident
    "If in doubt, flat out"
    Colin Mcrae

great stuff keep the updates coming really enjoying them.....

Thread Information