Thread: Should I be able to put pin straight back into timing belt tensioner?

Default Should I be able to put pin straight back into timing belt tensioner?

I just removed timing belt covers and if I get a steel rivet I can slide it straight back in to lock tensioner pin (still installed on car with belt on). Does that sound right? It's been 12 months and 3000kms since belt replaced. Am thinking maybe I've got a dud tensioner or could it be incorrectly installed?

I have hand rotated the engine slightly in both directions to line up timing marks (I presume rotating backwards is no problem?) but I suppose that could have taken some tension off the belt?
    The belt is rubbing on the crankshaft pulley guide, not sure if that's just a poor install on my part or because it's not being tensioned properly?
    1992 RS Legacy Type RA Spec C - details here. Will consider serious EOIs from club members
    My ex's: Grey 1992 RS sedan (aus delivered), White 1991 GX sedan

Doesn't sound right to me - typically one you pull the pin the tensioner should push out a fair bit and you would need to repress it in a vice to get the pin back in.
    I don't think installation would be incorrect as they only go on one way..

Perhaps pull the tensioner and see if its doing what is supposed to and reinstall? sounds like the tensioner has had it
    Jack

RSLC Vendor Supporting RSLC oversteer's Avatar

What belt ?

RSLC Wh0re BIG POSTER shaheenis's Avatar

Tensioner stuffed. It requires a lot of force to push the pin back in - vice.
    Shaheenis (Tim)
    Turbo EJ22 Powered Legacy GT Wagon at 16psi, slush style.
    Forged EJ22 (Wiseco, Eagle, ARP, ACL), MY98 Heads, ported VF28, V2 RA 7K ECU, Tough VTD 4EAT 3500 stall, 440s, FMIC, AMAuto CAI,
    RA ported headers, 3" Fujitsubo w/ AMAuto divorced dump, STI struts, Whiteline, Walbro, ||rails,

Advanced n00b

very lucky you spotted it now before something went bang

Thread Information