Thread: New White RS

n00b

Default New White RS

Late last year i had the opportunity to purchase my first RS. I am not new to Gen 1 Subarus but to have a genuine bc5 means a lot to me.
    After paying for the rs the seller offered to drive it to my house.
    I decided to go for a quick squiz up and down the road with my father. I happily parked it in the backyard.
    After about 20 minutes i had a mate come by and inspect yet another gen 1 i had purchased and like some curse, the car didn't want to start. Months went on and it just sat there! It was moved to and from different parts of the backyard thanks to the very powerful starter motor.
    After months of battling out what could have possibly gone wrong the issue was fouled/fuel soaked spark plugs.
    This was thanks to the amazing Link g1 Install that was running a mafless tune.

Being a uni student i had a small break for the Easter holidays. My goal was to have it road registered by the end of these holidays.
    It came to me wanting to get this thing on the road around April. I had organised a BCAA gearbox out of a wrecker to be swapped into the car in a leisurely afternoon due to the existing gbox having stripped 3rd gear.
    I am a person that want things done quickly, so its off my mind and can move on to something else at hand but this bit me in the ass. I foolishly worked under jack stands on grass.
    The story of my rs takes a mega turn with me being rushed to hospital. The Alfred hospital staff were amazing and diagnosed me with 5 broken ribs, Broken Sternum and Collapsed Lung within an hour of the accident.
    I am a very lucky person.
    The car was left for about 5 weeks before i started collecting the remains of a freak accident and shortly after finished the job at a petrol station on a weekend.

Fast forward to this past mid semester break from uni i have finally gotten the car through a roadworthy and registered in Victoria.
    The car has passed a roadworthy inspection but it has several wiring issues.
    The wiring had been seen by a few of my Subaru mates and they have all told me the same thing
    REWIRE THE CAR!!!
    when i had purchased the car it had a 3 plug Link g1 (should be a standalone ecu) Piggy backed to the factory ECU.
    That's right Two ecus, that should be running as stand alones. *MINDBLOW*
    To get the car running for a RWC i had plopped in a 6S and a orange maf.
    Car runs and drives but when the engines cold ish it feels like it hits a wall in the tune when i try and creep it up on boost.

I am now on the lookout for a PFC 4 Plug and wanting to Sell/Swap my 3 plug- Yes i know i jumped the gun.
    Will be rewiring the whole car from a spare g1s2 Legacy import i have (Yessssss Climate control goodness)

Making it up in the world and now owning a 25 year old car has proved to be challenging but i guess i dont need to jack the car to change the loom

bloody hell mate that is one hell of a intro glad you survived that one hope the rs is bit nicer to you from now on......

Far out! I'm guessing the car fell on you? How long where you stuck under there?
    What's an "RX" if you dont have a "W"! HeHe

The Professor BIG POSTER Billsy's Avatar

Shit dude, one hell of an intro
    Having a fast FWD is like coming out of the closet. Sure you will surprise some people but in the end, everyone knows you're gay.

Advanced n00b

Only just reading this now - and far out, I can't believe you ended up in hospital over this build.

I'm looking forward to pics/updates ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Wow, what an intro alright.
    I've got a brand new PFC and controller, 4 plug for RS's and early WRX's
    CURRENT CARS :1993 RS LIBERTY TURBO WAGON,1990 RS LEGACY TURBO SEDAN,1992 GT LEGACY TURBO SEDAN, 1991 SKI FX TURBO SEDAN, 1989 RS LEGACY TURBO SEDAN, 2001 GDB WRX STI and the mighty 1993 DIAHATSU CHARADE

Legends of Trade:[/U] cruiseH, Rippo, fast1, Mickey, akpv, seagull, likenother, Cruisin92, Dane, BenTZ, peteRS, goq11k ,STiV6 , Legacy555 , ejay lib , 90legacy , SubbyRS ,Kos,Heritage+RS, legacylad,SooberDooper,Johnno, Nicko,Rossimo,[MRLBRT],Jman,Loshan

n00b

So
    Fast forward a few months.
    I have had many issues with the rs wiring, istarted with the removal of the v3-4 wiring harness and then proceeded to remove the butchered up factory rs under dash loom. I had pulled everything out and laid it on the grass.
    I waved goodbye to the v3-4 red manifold (because the colour red was going to give me extra power) and i fitted a factory rs manifold on.
    My butchered loom was pretty sad so i opted out in getting a spare loom out of one of the JDM Auto legacies sitting in the backyard.
    FSM and a good set of crimpers were needed for me to complete this job. I threw out the auto module and all auto related wiring out of this spare loom. Made it a propper JDM Manual loom and also included an electronic speedo wire... THE WORKS.

My jdm loom with folding mirrors and climate control was finally ready.
    exited as ever i dumped the loom in and turned the key. the rs was running and everything seemed well and good.

After about 30 mins of inspecting the SMJ for the body loom i had realized the JDM auto WAGON one was different to the ADM Sedan one.
    I didn't think twice to re-pin the SMJ and ripped out the loom in record time.

The following week was dedicated to repairing the factory rs loom. The rs loom now patched up and fixed up to "make do" it was dumped right back into the car.
    Now after about 2 months of the car sitting there i was able to do my first celebratory 7k launch in the backyard ripping up the now dried yellow grass.

A month and a half has since passed. I have purchased a 4plug pfc. Im in the process of getting my Nismo 555cc injectors cleaned and having the latencies tested.

n00b

Default New White RS

Injectors were cleaned, dead times tested and flowed. All four injectors flow within 3.4% of each other.

It was bought to my attention after all this work to the loom the temp gauge doesnt work. And neither does the temp sensor to the ecu.
    Because the ecu isnt getting a temperature reading the ecu defaults to keeping the fans on. I wasnt at all worried about the car overheating as the fans were blasting 100% all the time.

Last Thursday on a trip to the city all hell broke loose with the speedo wiring and no boost at all.
    I have had enough and now am in the process of getting a new sender and sensor on the crossover pipe.
    I am fitting a new genuine knock sensor and will be attending to the engine light.
    Has been throwing codes since day one of the reloom but havjt worried about properly till I get some time (now).
    Im hopefully going to have a perfectly running and driving rs by the end of the Easter break.

And then
    Dump injectors in and a tame PFC tune. Im looking to be limited by wtaic on this car and have that limiting the car.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

n00b

Default New White RS

Also just to answer the question of how long I was under the car for.
    I cant answer that
    My father believes I wouldnt have been breathing for approx 40-50 seconds.
    When I woke up I was totally numb from waist down, as im guessing there was no blood circulating whatever was past the sil. My head was in the trans tunnel and my chest was supporting the car by the passenger side rear floorpan where there is a significant ding in the floor structure now. (sorry car) XD

I dont ever plan on getting rid of this car.
    These cars mean a lot to me as it was what got me through crap times in highschool. Watching mcm videos of Marty and his rs lib. This is not the first gen 1 I have ever owned but its the first bc5. Not only is it my first bc5 but it is also the earliest car on the record in Aus. I plan to restore this beast one day. 2050.... think so!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Wow! Glad your here to tell us your story. Your poor dad to.

As for wiring. Don't get me started!

Hang in there man. Sounds like it will be worth it in the end.
    What's an "RX" if you dont have a "W"! HeHe

Thread Information