Thread: The worst place you have broken down (car that is)

Default The worst place you have broken down (car that is)

So seeing its been a bit quite here lately story time. I made a bad life decision by taking the old RS liberty to grab some macca's drive through. Pull up place my order drive to next window and thought umm clutch feels a bit weird. Go to move to the next window push clutch in goes all the way to the floor and won't come back up, get my foot underneath the pedal to bring it back up, collect my food go to take off same thing except now no clutch at all and is stuck in gear manage to get it into neutral but cannot move blocking the exit to the bloody drivethrough i thought of all places to breakdown.

I get out to push her out the way and someone kindly gets out and helps me, called my old man comes and tows me home in his outback. It as a split rubber hose between the slave and master so lost all the clutch fluid looked original part so cannot really complain with 295,000 km on the clock. Just a bastard of place to breakdown.

So whats your worst breakdown story lets hear them........

Scored a cheap W57 gearbox for my racecar build up in the ACT. Thought I'd give the El cheapo LPG ED wagon the job as the Subaru sucks on long trips. Low, loud, bumpy and eats fuel like a SOB.

First 600kms was mint (Bendigo to Canberra). 20kms short of Canberra at 6am on a Sunday morning. Roll to a stop on the side of the road. Shit heap wont restart. Course not is a FORD why would it?

18 hours and $1200 later I made it home with my not so cheap gearbox. Just enough time for a few hours sleep and off to work Monday morning. YAY!
    What's an "RX" if you dont have a "W"! HeHe

Advanced n00b

VW T5 transporter 8.000km, 130kph on the motorway, overtaking an infinite number of trucks on a busy friday late afternoon.
    VW Style: engine simply went dead without any signal or so, coasting neutral trying to get it moving again, no chance.
    By simple luck manage to slip between 2 trucks on the emergency shoulder of the highway.

10 minutes later after some cooldown, engine starts as if nothing was wrong at all, no diagnosis error, VW dealership said nothing has happened...

Yes that never fun total engine cut out at speed....^^^^^

First at lights on a steep incline, peak hour home time rush, single lane for straight through and my Amarok throws a timing belt and drives the valves in to the pistons, no one would let me roll back out of the way and everyone could find their horn. Just laughed and called road side assist.... ah well

0hhh i think we nearly have a winner^^^^^^^

Advanced n00b

In my L series offroader I shattered 2nd gear and was skull dragged out until logging tracks where I then drove in 3rd using hi/low as my two gears. It was all a bit of rally style until all four wheels locked at low speed. Trailered from there, 10km to Orbost where it was left for a week. Friday after work I picked up the hire trailer, legged it from Shepp to Orbost, slept in the car then collected my L at 9am and headed home.

After the rebuild the next place was in the sand dunes at Lancelin - snapped a modified pinion shaft. Drove to Perth with the centre diff locked so I could have RWD. Felt sick being so far away from home with this issue, my mate wasn't worried and through his contacts about 4 days later we had pulled, striped, sorted parts, reassembled and refitted the gearbox for the drive home.

"Good times"

Cheers

Bennie

Nice one ^^^^^ i wrecked a rear wheel bearing at lancelin in my L series had a play on the dunes on the way back from perth heard some horrible cracking type noises normally bearing failures i have had squeak before death. Got out and burn my hand on the offending hub trying to diagnose what went wrong it had well and truly collapsed.

My old EJ22 started overheating in outback queensland, 1000kms into an 8500km trip. bypassed the heater core with some spare hose, burnt my hand pretty badly and carried on across the plenty highway. about half way to alice springs the bypass kinked and it got hot again. Sorted that out and not an issue for the remainder of the trip.

Learnt a lot about subaru cooling systems that trip.
    Why lower it, when you can LIFT it!

SUBARU ECU DATA CABLES HERE

Thread Information