Thread: 12/91 liberty rs

Advanced n00b

Default 12/91 liberty rs

Hello there I'm yet to post here even though I've asked a few questions on this site.

Okay well I'm from SA but my RS is stuck in VIC, I bought her in 2014 drove around Adelaide for abit before I had to store it again back in Victoria with family.

The car was originally from Bendigo if I remember correctly, got it sent to Adelaide by Prixcar and they were very good at their job even arrived early to my door in SA.

Came unregistered so had to get a permit & take it to REGENCY; was so quick and easy all they did was open the engine bay check the numbers and that was it; the inspector even said have you changed the engine? I've updated the engine number for you to register it, take care.

Drove around the corner paid the fees and got my plates and went for a cruise down semaphore then a boot down the port River expressway ;) so much fun once it comes on BOOST.

the previous owner did tell me he had put in a 1995 WRX engine from a front cut he bought and my friend confirmed it is and it came with TD05H but everything else I'm pretty sure it's factory RS and it is white with a sunroof which I've heard is rare to have factory sunroof??

The car was fun but I knew from day 1 it needed work and some TLC just never got around to fixing what needed to be done, I did take it to DRIVEN in Salisbury and they gave me a LIST of things to replace/upgrade which was mostly maintenance items like rubbers, bushes, front hubs, shifter bushings and the wiring needs to be looked at.

The car did not start a few times which ended up being fuses so I think it needs to be checked properly by an auto electrician.

The car had 2 big trips before I had to store it, one was 450kms and the last trip I did personally was about 200kms but unfortunately it sat for about 6 months and that's when I noticed the clutch issue; sticking clutch and hard to get into gear so had to trailer it and then store it and it's been sitting in Victoria now a few years.

Life unfortunately happened and the years went by but finally life has settled down and I have some money saved and I'm really seriously thinking about putting some $$$ into the RS, I think it's worthwhile to put it back on the road.

I'm just worried being out in the elements for a few years might cause issues like rust?
    Or whatever else it can do to the paint work being in the sun and the rain.......?

I do like to reminisce with a friend about the memories are had and the attention the RS would receive felt good.

Also I've heard there aren't many RS left in Australia? And with sunroof?

My car as I said it's pretty stock standard power wise but it went really good I'm not planning on it being a show car or shutting I just want to get it back to like roadworthy reliable standards so that it can be enjoyed and driven like it should be and maybe it will last another 30 years???

Few photos when I first got the car

Thanks guys for all your support.

nice yeh mines got a sunroof its the parts that are hard to get the buttons and so fourth and also they were a pretty expensive option like the abs,i would say more rare would be abs/sunroof car but in general there is not many rs's left on the road they were around 40k brand new and sold during a pretty tuff time in aus so not a huge seller. Shannons do a good review on there you tube channel about the rs and values of the car.

Love it. Can’t wait to see you get it back and get it going again!

Wear in the weather - always a tough question. A stone chip in the wrong spot could spark up some rust issues, or it might just go brown with surface rust... it’s a crab shoot really.

RS’s are few - and unfortunately they continue to become fewer. I dropped in on the bookface page to see what’s going on and it’s super busy in there compared to here. But I don’t like bookface so I tend not to use it. What got me was a guy had his RS vandalised and didn’t want to deal with it and the vultures came out. Someone ended up buying it whole and parting it out. It was a genuine RS wagon, not a conversion - needed some panel work on the roof and some side panels. Wasted.

So I love ppl like yourself that bring them back to life or from the brink of death... with pics ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Advanced n00b

Quote Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
    Love it. Canít wait to see you get it back and get it going again!

Wear in the weather - always a tough question. A stone chip in the wrong spot could spark up some rust issues, or it might just go brown with surface rust... itís a crab shoot really.

RSís are few - and unfortunately they continue to become fewer. I dropped in on the bookface page to see whatís going on and itís super busy in there compared to here. But I donít like bookface so I tend not to use it. What got me was a guy had his RS vandalised and didnít want to deal with it and the vultures came out. Someone ended up buying it whole and parting it out. It was a genuine RS wagon, not a conversion - needed some panel work on the roof and some side panels. Wasted.

So I love ppl like yourself that bring them back to life or from the brink of death... with pics ;)

Cheers

Bennie
    As I said those photos were when I first got it and washed it so I'm worried about the RS being out in the elements a few years.

I plan to fix it up providing there's no major deep rust on body or frame? I'm definitely not rich!

Yeah I hate fk book also way too much drama and attention seekers

But such a shame when ignorant people don't know what they got.

And yes I was thinking of just buying a newer car like a cheap daily but new then I thought why bother I have a daily car that works and does what I need and the RS deserves the attention and hopefully it is fixable and will last another 20+ years.

Plus it's tons of fun to drive ;)

I really cannot wait but I have to at least until the covid stuff goes away........

I'll just keep saving as much as I can I guess!

Thanks for your kind words.

Instead of dailying it, have you looked into your cub rego scheme in SA? I don’t know the ins and outs of it but I do know my cousin’s husband used to have his merc on club rego on SA plates.

Cheers

Bennie

Advanced n00b

Registration is simpler here, if I need it I'll pay rego online if I don't need it I won't simple... no RWC here.

But what I meant is the car needs a lot of maintenance work to be done to get it back to road ready and safe.

I already have a cheap little daily.. the RS would be for fun maybe on the weekends and the odd cruise if they have them anymore?

You build it and I'm sure something can be arranged.
    What's an "RX" if you dont have a "W"! HeHe

There are a good number of rs’s around and many getting restored now. I still have my original 92 Legacy RS sedan and a 92 222 rs wagon that I saved after being stolen respray Ed meth head silver and thrashed for a week or two. Unfortunately some are not economical to restore especially when significant panel and paint damage is taken into account. There have been a few parted out over the course of the past few years and it is inevitable as the lower quality examples are parted in order to keep the better cars going as parts become scarcer and are no longer available from Subaru. It inevitably becomes like nature in that it is survival of the fittest.
    Current Daily: my06 Liberty 3.0R Spec B wagon..... Family wags
    The Toy: My92 Cherry Black JDM Legacy RS Turbo Sedan. far from stock
    The Other toy: My92 222 Liberty RS Turbo wagon.
    The Other other toy: My00 Silver GC8 WRX... Near stock.
    The other other other toy: 1969 Datsun 1600 FJ20et with Twin Webers.
    For Sale: My90 yellow plate import Legacy GT Wagon finished in blue

Advanced n00b

Quote Originally Posted by mylegacyrs View Post
    There are a good number of rsís around and many getting restored now. I still have my original 92 Legacy RS sedan and a 92 222 rs wagon that I saved after being stolen respray Ed meth head silver and thrashed for a week or two. Unfortunately some are not economical to restore especially when significant panel and paint damage is taken into account. There have been a few parted out over the course of the past few years and it is inevitable as the lower quality examples are parted in order to keep the better cars going as parts become scarcer and are no longer available from Subaru. It inevitably becomes like nature in that it is survival of the fittest.
    Yes mine is white 91 build just seen it for the first time in few years and there's some rust I'm hoping it's nothing too serious.

I'll add some photos

https://ibb.co/F3jtc9K
    https://ibb.co/K63TVPC
    https://ibb.co/fk0MYf8

That's my liberty its been sitting outdoors for a few years now...

I’d be getting her under cover and the screens out to assess the rust pronto if I were you!
    Current Daily: my06 Liberty 3.0R Spec B wagon..... Family wags
    The Toy: My92 Cherry Black JDM Legacy RS Turbo Sedan. far from stock
    The Other toy: My92 222 Liberty RS Turbo wagon.
    The Other other toy: My00 Silver GC8 WRX... Near stock.
    The other other other toy: 1969 Datsun 1600 FJ20et with Twin Webers.
    For Sale: My90 yellow plate import Legacy GT Wagon finished in blue

Advanced n00b

Looks like I may be getting the car back to SA sooner than later, and will be looking at getting a decent car Cover with multiple layers and some kind of weather proof but that's after my mate goes through everything, will need to drop all old oils and filters and fluids and check everything and hope there's no major rust underneath either.....

Thread Information