Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 91 Gen 1

Steering wheel should fit the steering shaft. AFAIK subaru only changed the steering shaft design between the MY/EA81 models and the EA82 L series models. I believe this is still the current design today.

Only issues could be the clock spring setup (I’m not sure what the later models use or what it’s called) between the donor’s steering wheel and the recipient’s steering column. But then there’s always the option of swapping steering columns that should work. Other will know more on this.

Cheers

Bennie

Quote Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
    Steering wheel should fit the steering shaft. AFAIK subaru only changed the steering shaft design between the MY/EA81 models and the EA82 L series models. I believe this is still the current design today.

Only issues could be the clock spring setup (I’m not sure what the later models use or what it’s called) between the donor’s steering wheel and the recipient’s steering column. But then there’s always the option of swapping steering columns that should work. Other will know more on this.

Cheers

Bennie

I have been looking at it, will probably give it a miss and just get the boss kit and an older style momo. I will have to so something about the cruise control stalk, hopefully might be able to graft it on or just make a module that goes on the centre console, find some momentary switches. My stock wheel is definitely stuffed, the rubber on the top is loose from the steel.

Unless I try and use a needle and inject araldite into it, not sure if that would work.

You could try the araldite method. Have you thought about having the steering wheel refurbished? You would have to find out if they can do the sort of work you’re asking.

Cheers

Bennie

You could try the araldite method. Have you thought about having the steering wheel refurbished? You would have to find out if they can do the sort of work you’re asking.

Cheers

Bennie
    I'll have to see what's around down here, I don't know if the normal upholsterers would do it.

Yesterday got bored, finally got the rust cut out and new panels put in on the gen 1.

It was only skin related so was able to deskin the parts I had and put them in. underneath went through, rust proofed, galv spray then primed before I put the new skins on.

ATM it's just got primer sitting on it, but does look a lot better already. When I start doing the body work i'll filler and sand it properly.

Now when I looked at it this morning, im a lot happier there's no big holes sticking out. Was going to pull the motor today, but have not really got the motivation so another breaks problem.

Well. Wife rang me up and asked to see what I was upto today and started rambling off jobs around the house.

So anyway, motor is out.

Time to give it a clean up, do a few bits and pieces, clean the engine bay and paint it, then motor back in.

Quote Originally Posted by rexhunta View Post
    Well. Wife rang me up and asked to see what I was upto today and started rambling off jobs around the house.

So anyway, motor is out.
    PMSL Classic.
    What's an "RX" if you dont have a "W"! HeHe

ha ha lol yeh ive got a old momo steering wheel on mine, i do miss the cruise as it worked fine i still have the original wheel,trimmers don't like doing them because they are time consuming and don't make much money out of them.....

Well cracked the covers off today, pretty impressed to say the least.

all the gaskets replaced, try and get all the front end off and do the cams and crank seals later on.

WOW!!! Like new!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    WOW!!! Like new!
    Exactly what I thought !

I got the covers off, the timing belt is cracked to shithouse, so i'll need to order a kit, idler bearing is pretty shot too.

Lucky you got onto it. Great way to kill a mint motor.

Wow that is one very clean engine! I bet it copped many early oil changes (in distance) and was baby’d it’s whole life too!

Lucky you got onto it. Great way to kill a mint motor.
    Nah not the original EJ22Es from the Gen1 - non interference. Can tell by the rocker arms. No adjustment bolts so they’re hydraulic. The Gen2 moved to solid adjusters that had to be adjusted every X number of kms. They bumped the compression for a little more poke and this they’re interference engines from then on in the Subaru world.

Rexhunta - will you be running a factory turbo setup from the WRX donor or will you just use the gearbox and diffs etc from the WRX and your turbo setup on the EJ22E from your Gen4?

Cheers

Bennie

Wow that is one very clean engine! I bet it copped many early oil changes (in distance) and was baby’d it’s whole life too!

Nah not the original EJ22Es from the Gen1 - non interference. Can tell by the rocker arms. No adjustment bolts so they’re hydraulic. The Gen2 moved to solid adjusters that had to be adjusted every X number of kms. They bumped the compression for a little more poke and this they’re interference engines from then on in the Subaru world.

Rexhunta - will you be running a factory turbo setup from the WRX donor or will you just use the gearbox and diffs etc from the WRX and your turbo setup on the EJ22E from your Gen4?

Cheers

Bennie
    I feel sorry for the 20 psi it's about to cop nah it'll only be 5 psi in it.

It's the turbo kit from gen 4, i've had it all on it already and everything bolted up, albiet i'll have to remake from intercooler piping, but rest is good.

What's the difference between an ej22e and ej22m ? or is it an ej22e with something else, or has the block been changed and different heads?

I’ve not seen a sticker like that before and I’ve not heard of an M variant of the EJ22. I think the phase 2 is still known as an EJ22E too, just to confuse things.

What does the body’s compliance or VIN plate say? It should be on the body near the front strut tower, passenger’s side from memory.

Cheers

Bennie

Vin plate says EJ22E, so who knows.

Spare time today, so done the cam and front crank seals which I used genuine, done the timing belt, idlers and acc drive belts.

Motor is now all back together with all the acc ons, got the turbo all bolted on, made a few supporting brackets for it to keep it off the heads. Still have to wrap all the headers as well, and then its back into the car.

Oil feed for the turbo plumbed in, got to add a few vacuum nipples in a couple of the spare parts on the intake manifold for wastegate and boost gauge.

Last edited by rexhunta; 28th April 2022 at 08:04 PM.

Nice clean job as always.

Nice clean job as always.
    Thanks, trying to keep it clean to begin with before it goes back in, as I know I'll get lazy later on.

Next step while it's sitting out is get the oil drain tapped to the sump, then hopefully by end of the week the last of the shed power will be swapped out, and I'll be able to get the car up on the hoist and start stripping the rest of the engine bay down for a clean and coat of paint, then it's basically move on from there bit by bit.

Got a fair few things done this shift break which is good setup for the next one.

Most important. 16mm cable now complete from house box to shed box. 15amp, and now enough feed for any tool I want.

So now new tool is hooked up, and now I can see the benefits already.

I have done the oil return from the turbo. Had some 15mm Id 5mm wall thick mild steel pipe, I tapped the inside to 3/8" NPT, cut down to size, drilled the sump so it fit in ever so snug, and welded the bung in. Used 16mm steel pipe that had some good bends in it so snake in between the block and engine mount. 16mm OD to 3/8' npt fitting into the bung.

Today tackled getting the old towbar off, without wrecking too much of the interior. Successfully got the rear bar off, had a look around the rear sheet metal, it's all factory untouched. Pretty happy about that.

And then.. my favourite. I found the toolkit shoved right in the back of the wheel well. All the tools were in it, the factory jack, bar, and even the factory 4th week of 1990 spare tyre. Unfortunately i'll have to change the tyre at some point, but that's got to be some subaru archeology there lol.

Neat setup for the turbo oil return line. I might have to steal that idea for a little project that’s slowly (standstill slowly) moving down the pipeline.

Love the hoist, awesome addition that’ll help you out no end!

Cheers

Bennie

Neat setup for the turbo oil return line. I might have to steal that idea for a little project that’s slowly (standstill slowly) moving down the pipeline.

Love the hoist, awesome addition that’ll help you out no end!

Cheers

Bennie
    patenting the oil drain lol. I think it was the breather hose from the ej205 intake was all the correct bends, could be the water but it was definitely 16mm od, and that is 1 piece.

And yep, spent probably 3 hours in the shed the other night, the hoist is a godsend. When taking the bumpers off I could sit the car at such a better height without having a buggered back after it. Came with some 80mm extensions for the rubber feet too.

Now to try and justify to the wife that 15 amp ac/dc tig i've been eyeing off.

I picked up a Clutch Industries complete single mass clutch conversion kit. Was suprised Repco had it on the shelf for some silly reason. Single mass flywheel, Clutch, pressure plate, flywheel bolts, release bearing and the spigot bearing, seems like a good kit. Have ordered the manual starter motor, be a week or so I guess.

My aeroflow adaptor had arrived today too for the FPR on the rail, I can now run my Tomei rising rate FPR, which with the walbro 255 that I have installed in the tank will hopefully keep me safe at 5 psi, until I work out a motor to put in it and turn it up.

This break hoping to put the box back on the motor and get it back in the car, start looking at the rest of wiring, then plod along with the cooler piping and trimming the bar. Thanks to Marty at MCM I dug back through their older videos ( about 11-12 years ago ) and he had done the fmic install on his gen 1 RS, and put it as a 5 min ep on MCM2 channel, and it has given me the perfect positions of what to trim and where it goes, although i'm only running a 300 high cooler, which i'm hoping will be hidden behind the bar more.. for discreet things.

Pete.

Wow! Look at you go!

box is now mounted to clutch which is now mounted to the engine for good ( hopefully ), and back in the car. Front rad support now cut out so I can get some pipes going through for the cooler. It will all eventually come out later on for the bay to be painted, but rather be scratching it all with the old paint.

cut out the least I could for the cooler to fit on the front bar. Tomorrow I'll massage the last part and see what of my piping fits and what i'll need to remake. Also still need to wrap the up pipe. Once I get that stuff all done i'll order some 3" and get the exhaust started.

If I get a chance next break i'll be starting to cut all the auto wiring out and the auto ecu. Not entirely looking forward to shoving my face in somewhere feet have been for 30 years.

Pete.

God I hate wiring. I wish you luck.

Nice work mate!

How do you rate your little two poster there? that single or 3 phase?
    Daily: legs to home office
    Clubbed: 92 RS turbo sedan - stockish
    Track: 1995 STI Type RA
    Clubbed:1996 AUDM WRX sedan - 207,Link,E85,td04 @ all the PSI, 4.44 5spd = bloody fun street car!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
    Nice work mate!

How do you rate your little two poster there? that single or 3 phase?
    single phase 10a, 4.5t, under the arms at full height is 1800. It's definitely a lot better then working on the ground. Pictures don't do the height justice, but the open top and open floor both only go to the same height, i got talked out of the open floor by the guy at the company due to being limited by the height before you hit the cutout switch at the top.
    Last edited by rexhunta; 18th May 2022 at 10:31 PM.

So just a small update.

All the fmic piping is done, and got the intake side sussed out, just waiting on a pod to afm adaptor and I can finish off that section, also need to add 2 bungs for the catch cans, once I work out where I am going to mount them. Fitted the Tomei FPR.

Pulled the interior out and gave it a decent vacuum before starting to rip the TCM.

And then pulling it out.

I have also made all the dump pipe to the crossover under the gearbox in 3", waiting on a new bung for my AEM wideband to arrive and I can get that in.

Pulled the rear subframe, dropped the tank slightly and got all the lines sorted, got the filler neck back in and subframe back in the car as well.

and my favourite. I pulled the deck out so I can get a couple of the lights repaired by Dad, he has repaired these before. Decks fine for me, has AUX input, works well and have some limited controls but radio works.

Pete.

Looking great! Love the pipework. Very neat.

Looking great! Love the pipework. Very neat.
    Thank you.

Dedicating tomorrow and hopefully Tuesday to the shed. If all goes to plan fingers crossed be able to fire it over next break. Maybe even Tuesday night, but can't see that being it atm, definitely more next block. Hopefully fuel prices come down by then :lol:

Fuel prices coming down? You talkin crazy talk. Lol

Well, today was the day. It runs.

Only made the front pipe atm, sounds horrible cant wait for it to have a full exhaust lol.

Done all the wiring yesterday, which was like adding in the nps, reverse lights, and few other bits and pieces. I have to make a sub harness for the factory o2 sensor as it sits further forward with these shit headers, and got to wire in my wideband.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Vm2U-saEdKg?feature=share

bit more to go and i'll be happy, then pull it all out and do the bay and few other bits.
    Last edited by rexhunta; 22nd June 2022 at 09:26 PM.

Top work!

That doesn't sound that bad.

Thread Information