Thread: My 91 Gen 1

Default My 91 Gen 1

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time gen 1 owner.

So i had been searching for a Gen 1 for a couple of years, everytime anything came up they got snapped up quickly until I found this in october this year in Perth. Bought it from the 1 time owner old girl ( she had all the paperwork ) and brought it home. I got the car, drove it 200km home on cruise control and put it in the back of the shed to be thought later on.

I had bought a gen 4 liberty 2.5i as I couldn't find a gen 1, and I ended up putting a td04 on that at psi with a few mods to help.

So I have completely stripped the gen 4 back to stock, as i am thinking about selling it now I have this.

It's completely stock, fwd, 2.2l, but has all the electronics, and everything still works, including the factory head unit. It does have rust in the lower front seal, but I the owners son gave me the replacement panels which I hope to swap out next week.

My mission by the end is to have an RS copy, albeit, I'll use what I can find.

So far I have all the turbo kit, fmic and piping, a kobe motorsport 265l pump and some wrx injectors. I have purchased a bugeye wrx rolling shell yesterday that has a complete driveline which I plan on using as much as possible, have shot a few pms through to Benny aka mechanical stig and he advised a gd cradle should hopefully fit, although will probably need to fiddle with the struts.

So hoping before I got back to work, I'll have all the rolling chassis from the bugeye out and pieced on the ground, i'll have the complete pedal box and manual side of the car out, and pretty much grab a few other random pieces off the car and have it ready for scrap.

Also trying to get a chance to get into the shed and replace the rusted panels, and start stripping lights and exterior items off the gen 1 ready to for some panel beating. It only has a few carpark dings here and there, which i'm pretty happy about.

I have a '05 ej205 with a spun bearing on the engine stand, my aim is to pull it down and have a look at how bad it is, and see what i'll need to piece from there, worst case i'll find another early ej20 and use that, and hopefully something like a haltech 550 to run it.

Pete.
    Last edited by rexhunta; 31st December 2021 at 04:36 PM.

You are going to be very busy. I will make sure to keep an eye out for your updates.
    What's an "RX" if you dont have a "W"! HeHe

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    You are going to be very busy. I will make sure to keep an eye out for your updates.
    Only when I'm allowed to be busy

cause I was desi driver last night, no hangover, so got up to the shed just after 11 and got the driveline, pedal boxes, brakes all off the bugeye. Seems as though front diff is open and rear diff an lsd. I'm thinking possibly viscous type ? not entirely sure. Haven't worked out what ratios they are yet either.

Tomorrow will look at getting out the tank out in case I can make it fit, and then clean the shed and start on the gen 1.

I think this stage just keep pushing the mechanical side while I've still got the motivation. then go from there. If I can get the cradle and tank in this week, I'll be pretty happy.

Sweet looking Gen1 Series1! They’re hard to find these days.

Seems you have your work cut out for you and an awesome space to do it in too - that’ll make things easier.

What power plant will you use, I’m unsure if you’re going to turbo the EJ22 with the kit off the Gen4 or if you’ll run a DOHC 25 or 20 turbo.

Either way, it’ll be a good ride once you’re done. I love that colour too.

Cheers

Bennie

Quote Originally Posted by El_Freddo View Post
    Sweet looking Gen1 Series1! They’re hard to find these days.

Seems you have your work cut out for you and an awesome space to do it in too - that’ll make things easier.

What power plant will you use, I’m unsure if you’re going to turbo the EJ22 with the kit off the Gen4 or if you’ll run a DOHC 25 or 20 turbo.

Either way, it’ll be a good ride once you’re done. I love that colour too.

Cheers

Bennie
    Thanks Bennie,

I am very lucky to have a decent size shed haha.

This stage I am half thinking of just banging my turbo kit onto the ej22, and start making/finding a proper ej20 factory turbo motor.

I am not looking for bulk power, i am looking for sustainable power that I can track/autocross/entry level targa. I am not chasing medals etc, more just trying to get back out there, i've done s13s, i have done the awd 4g63t thing ( modded RVR ), It's time to do a car I am going to hang onto for a very long time, and hopefully pass it down.

Maybe later on It'll have a full built mental motor, for now I just want it to get out and have some fun.

Amazing progress. The later cars where wider in the track so wider front and rear suspension. So if things are not seeming right that may be why. Otherwise you are smashing it out!

Amazing progress. The later cars where wider in the track so wider front and rear suspension. So if things are not seeming right that may be why. Otherwise you are smashing it out!
    Yeah I had read something like 50mm wider track, hoping to somehow get around it. When I drop the rear axle setup on the liberty I'll get some measurements, probably a bit of elongating holes and rewelding the outer may have to happen.

I believe the tailshaft may need to be extended too by about 60mm, I haven't obviously checked yet, but will get there eventually.
    Last edited by rexhunta; 2nd January 2022 at 11:42 AM.

Re: tailshaft, find one for a manual Liberty unless the gearbox happens to be a six speed, in which case I’ve read the Gen1 auto tailshaft is the go to.

Cheers

Bennie

Re: tailshaft, find one for a manual Liberty unless the gearbox happens to be a six speed, in which case I’ve read the Gen1 auto tailshaft is the go to.

Cheers

Bennie
    Unfortunately all my local wreckers down where I am only keep cars upto 2000, if i'm really lucky a 99 will appear. I might even see if they'll loan me a gen 4 auto tailshaft, on luck it may fit ?

The rear is out of the gen 1, the fuel tank is out of both. I'm about to test fit the bugeye tank in, if it fits i'll swap the gen 1 sender and stuff into the tank, and replace all the lines.

I have started to clear out all the holes underneath of the gen 1 chassis that the rwd cradle fits into, the best bit about keeping and labelling every single bolt is that i don't have to spend 5 mins every time looking for shit. I have measured all difference and they all seem fit be within spec to get it up into place.

the box going in is a 5 speed for now, i've just got to work out if i can fiddle with front axles to make things fit, or see if the bugeye front setup will fit in, i also have a gen 4 front crossmember that seems to match the bugeye, so once i've finished the rear i'll get onto the front.

Pete.

Tanks where good - top gen 1, bottom bugeye

All the holes still looked good, although probably need a retap really.

in, and the level is on the guard, this is with the 17x7 +55 stock wrx rims.

Will work on the front end in next few days when I get a chance, and then pull it all apart and do the bushes, new fuel lines and probably put the newer brakes on the rear.

Looking good! they are becoming pretty rare these days, hardly see any on the road... having a place where you can have both cars next to each other makes a huge difference to time saving !
    Are You Jealous?
    Do you have a bad case of the green eyed monster? Or do you play it cool?
    You just got dusted by a maroon Rsliberty what do you do?
    1. Turn off at the next side street?
    2. Try to catch up and try again at the next set of lights?
    3. Give the wave and admit defeat?

Keep up the momentum Pete!

Which tank did you end up using? I can’t remember if the 2wd tank has the trans tunnel moulding for the rear diff, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen one of these at the parts yard.

Will this build be a put it all together, get it running then pull it all apart again to tidy up the body?

Cheers

Bennie

Keep up the momentum Pete!

Which tank did you end up using? I can’t remember if the 2wd tank has the trans tunnel moulding for the rear diff, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen one of these at the parts yard.

Will this build be a put it all together, get it running then pull it all apart again to tidy up the body?

Cheers

Bennie
    I used the bugeye fuel tank as it has the recess underneath for the AWD, the gen 1 tank does not, and you can't even test fit the cradle without changing them over, as the front bar on the cradle hits the front bottom bulge of the tank itself.

Yes, I am going to get all the AWD in, make sure I have everything, get the all the manual pedal boxes etc in, and then pull it all out, replace bushes, hoses and gaskets, and then work on the body. At this stage the engine is leaking like a sieve so I might even pull that out and clean the engine bay up, pull out a heap of stuff like the charcoal and breather setup, as the bugeye tank has it underneath the spare wheel well hidden, which is way nicer then staring at you in the engine bay.

I am hopefully be able to put the gen 1 pump holder back in the tank though, i am not hundred per cent sure it will work with that I got, if not i'll just rewire the bugeye harness to suit the gen 1 harness, may even run a thicker cable down the car and put in a relay for it, so the pump has a heap more power feed. Always scared of how small the factory wires are.

Well, the auto fought me all the way today, from shafts not wanting to come out, to flex bolts being rounded off even before I got to them, I managed to get the thing out.

So went through and cleaned all the spare thread hole all underneath the front section of the body this time, I used the bug eye front shafts, all the bug eye crossmembers, and the box went all up and in. Currently no clutch sitting inside of it, I just wanted to 100% sure it worked, even the centre bearing lined up.

And as we previously knew, the tailshaft was 60mm short, so I quickly jacked up my gen 4 which is 4 speed auto, and measured from the exact centre bearing bracket to the front of the yoke, and magically as El_freddo mentioned, the auto shaft is that 60mm longer from the same place measured, and I do know the local wreckers has 3 sitting in their yard so I will run out tomorrow and hopefully grab one, if they're open.

The front brakes from the bug eye are a 2 pot and significantly bigger, but to me is it worth getting an adaptor made so they fit, or do I just wait later on when i do the motor upgrade and get some 4 pots and do the adaptor then. 2 pots definitely have to be better then the single pot fronts on there now.

I've got the wiring diagrams printed out, so when it comes time, I will find the inhibitor switch section of the harness and bypass it, maybe put a switch on the clutch, so you have to push the clutch to start the car, my old TJ jeep had this, and I found it a good deterrent.

Pete.

All the different front brake options should just be bolt on. I went from 2 spot to 4 spot to 4 spot brembos with only rotor change and bolt on the calipers. The backs need adaption though.

All the different front brake options should just be bolt on. I went from 2 spot to 4 spot to 4 spot brembos with only rotor change and bolt on the calipers. The backs need adaption though.

That's great to know thanks. I may as well do it, I've got the master for it, if i need to change both I will. Today didn't do anything, tomorrow will bolt the hubs together on the bugeye and get it out of the shed. clean up, restack everything and regather some thoughts !

All the brakes swapped over, backing plates swapped. The rotors were definitely larger, and to go to twin pots is a no brainer for free.

Got the passenger front axle off and swapped over, I had to cut the nut off the end of the axle in the end.

Pulled the pump cradle from the gen 1 tank, i'm hoping it will fit into the bug eye tank so the gauge will be about the same, if not have to work out what happens with gauge at what point.

I also torqued up the front axles today and found out they jam against the hub, and it was the abs tone rings causing the problem. We don't need where we are going so smashed the rings off the axles and they now don't hit at all and spun freely.

I've started making a list of what I need to order, so the old girl is pushed into it's home for a few weeks, and the bugeye blocked up and pushed out of the shed into it's home until I am content that I have grabbed what I need, then ring the scrapyard and get it taken away.

I am half thinking about grabbing the steering rack and all the wheels sensors out of it for my gen 4.

Pete.

Job well done thus far.

Job well done thus far.
    Thanks, it's pretty easy thankfully that Subaru had the brains to use most things as crossovers.

I got given some hours this arvo, so ran up and put the pedals and clutch master/slave in. The auto brake pedal/throttle were one piece unlike the GD stuff, although was completely the same shape, so cut the welds off the original as it had a switch on it for I am guessing kickdown for the auto. Once got the auto brake off, the acc pedal went back into same spot. All the mounting holes were there for the clutch pedal, and cut out on the firewall done.

Seems too easy sometimes!

As they say, Subarus are all Lego!

Cheers

Bennie

nice work mate not many gen 1's in WA

Quote Originally Posted by Rslib72 View Post
    nice work mate not many gen 1's in WA
    Thanks.

I found this one in Kewdale, and drove it upto balcatta then just cruised back to Bunbury. I was really surprised as it drove really nice, hopfully it drives a bit better once i've done all it's mods !

Thread Information