Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project Revive

Put some fresh fuel in her and still running rough on start it also backfired a little so i am pulling all the spark plugs to check them and replace if needed I will also check each one is firing and check for spark.

I also checked the alternator and it's charging at 13.0v - 13.2v roughly so its working fine for an old round plug alternator (It's on my list to upgrade to oval late model alternator when i rebuild the engine etc).
    Are You Jealous?
    Do you have a bad case of the green eyed monster? Or do you play it cool?
    You just got dusted by a maroon Rsliberty what do you do?
    1. Turn off at the next side street?
    2. Try to catch up and try again at the next set of lights?
    3. Give the wave and admit defeat?

mmm thats still pretty low for the volts mine is 13.8 it really should be 14.2 at idle warm but yeh they are not the best in saying that mine has been exactly the same for over seven years...

Yeah it is a little low but to get it running it should be ok, i wanted to rule out that it was the alternator causing the gremlins i also took the terminals off the battery and car ran the same so alternator is running car and that reading was when it was cold and running rough and shaking so not a true reading, so i will have to get another reading when it's running smoothly i know i will have to replace it soon for a late model one as i know the round plug RS ones are crap but hoping it will make it a few months.
    Last edited by JELISS; 1st April 2022 at 12:39 AM.
    Are You Jealous?

Changed all the plugs out for NGK BKR6E and gaped them all to 0.8, i also checked the coils were firing and i had spark at every spark plug which i did.

I also did a compression test on each cylinder but it was done on a cold motor so not a true indicator but a 150psi in each cylinder cold so will be more once warm.

Started it again to check voltage and to do last burping of cooling system before it comes down off the stands and still running rough that gets a little better once warm.

Alternator looks like it is toast... when i start it up it starts at around 13.2v but gradually keeps coming down as the car warms up until after 10 minutes or so i was seeing it keep dropping consistently and I shut it off when it got to 11.9 - 11.8.

Does anyone know when Subaru changed over to the SMART alternators with variable charging or ECU controlled charging systems i am thinking maybe around 2002 - 2005 and if the new ej20 alternators can still be used on the early ej20 without hooking up the extra wires?
    Are You Jealous?

After some research it appears as though we can use all wrx alternators all the way up 2020 but only using 2 wires, i am pretty sure the new ones are 110amp as well so a lot better than the 75amp RS alternators. Going to see if i can source one tomorrow from Subaru, if not i will get a low km one from a wrecker and have it rebuilt when i start the engine rebuild later.

I will also source the plug that goes with it and wire it in replacing the original round RS plug.
    Are You Jealous?

Getting there

the larger amp alternator is the 1 to use...
    1992 white RS Liberty
    537kw and 793nm all at the wheels
    STI DCCD spec 6 speed
    built by oversteer
    financed by my ex wife

Ok, i ended up getting hold of a late model STI alternator i think it was from a 2019-2020 (#23700AA871) it only had 18,000 km's on it and looks brand new it is 110amp. I got it home and fitted it up, removed the old alternator and cut the plug, the new one fitted in perfectly with no problems (so awesome Subaru have had the same design all the way through the EJ's, I then dummied up the wiring to test it out, started it up and the car is running the best it has so far but still has a small miss but the exact same problem with the alternator, although this time the voltage sits at around 14.2v but when i turn accessory on it drops down pretty quickly and almost stalls.

It also runs a lot smoother at the 14.2v but has a really weird miss every 30-40 seconds and the tacho basically bounces up and down for a sec.

Definitely not a waste of money as the other alternator was on it's way out and when i removed it and spun it the bearings have definitely had it.

I started checking the voltage and if i take the 2 wires of the main bolt on the alternator it shoots up to 16.8v then when i put the wires back on (checked each wire independently with no change) it drops down to 14.2v and doesn't change with engine speed.

I checked the ignition relays (fine) and a few other relays and looks like whoever hacked at it also put another relay and diode in there for the alarm and turbo timer.

For a very long time I know I have had a voltage drop somewhere but it was never really an issue until now, occasionally the car would not start etc, there potentially is two issues with the wiring under the dash as there have been a few people hacking at it prior to me owning the vehicle.

There is an alarm and also an Apexi turbo timer both of which have hacked the ignition system and ECU, i also noticed they were all earthing of the same pin on the ECU.

So now the slow and boring job of trying to track down this voltage drop, i can see there is a voltage drop on the total circuit as the resistance between the battery terminals when not connected to the battery is like 0.50 ohms @ 200k on multimeter but nothing when i disconnected the 4 plugs that go into the ECU.
    Last edited by JELISS; 28th June 2022 at 11:25 PM.
    Are You Jealous?

Ok getting somewhere now, found a few earth points under the dash cleaned them up, checked, cleaned and reinstalled all existing earth points front and back (Battery relocated to boot), literally pulled out every fuse and cleaned and checked and put back.

Started the car up quickly to check and no delay with the starter motor now. It fired straight up and idled smoothly at 14.2 - 14.4v, i turned on the lights and heater and all accessories and the lowest it dropped to was like 13.7v so fingers crossed i am getting closer, it also has no more resistance when everything is off.

Now i need to fix up all the wiring under the dash and make it nice and neat and order a new alternator plug.
    Are You Jealous?

nice one mate thanks for the updates....

Very well done! Wiring can be a real nightmare at the best of times.
    What's an "RX" if you dont have a "W"! HeHe

Getting there

me runs a motec ecu
    1992 white RS Liberty
    STI DCCD spec 6 speed
    built by oversteer
    financed by my ex wife

Flash - Very nice, can't get better than them, they are one of the best in the world and all the top guys are using them but very expensive! but you pay for quality !!

I will probably start out with a Link G4+ or Haltech but leaning towards the Link which is my next big purchase as i need to know what my engine/ECU is doing and because there is no subiscan data cables available for the standard ECU anymore it makes it even harder to find the problems.

I took the car out for a drive today for the first time in a very long time she cruises very nice but as soon as you put your foot down it starts popping and farting but was happy to cruise and after i got it home i noticed the negative wire had almost came out due to putting it on and off so many times over the last week while doing the electrical so i think that may have been the problem but I will drive it again tomorrow and report back. I also gave it her first bath for a very very long time, engine bay and outside and gee she still looks pretty good !!

The alternator was reading 14.2v - 14.4v and lowest it went was like 13.9v even with the loose negative battery so i think that is fixed.

She was also running a little hot so maybe some air pockets remain in the system although i bled it like 3-4 times over a week but will check it again as the bottom hose is only warm while the top hose and engine bay is hot.

I will give her a full detail this week while i can move it around including clay bar, polish and wax and then tackle the leather interior.
    Last edited by JELISS; 10th April 2022 at 08:29 PM.
    Are You Jealous?

Full dedication Jeliss! Full respect!

Hopefully you get to the bottom of the miss fire and the popping and farting under load.

Have you double checked the cam timing and that all coil packs are running properly and not breaking down with heat or load?

Good progress none the less!

Cheers

Bennie

Getting there

a link4 plus is great ecu for the money, if i was after a ecu i lean towards a link4 plus
    1992 white RS Liberty
    STI DCCD spec 6 speed
    built by oversteer
    financed by my ex wife

I think i am sold on the Link ECU ! thanks for input!

Another quick update...

Last week i gave her a full detail, the whole car cleaned including engine bay, clay bar, polish and wax, interior all done including the leather seats etc. She came up really nice! I am driving it around locally at the moment and the popping and farting and everything seems to be fixed now although I am only cruising it at low boost at the moment and everything seems nice and smooth.

But it does look like I have a problem, it seems to pour smoke out big time and then clear up for 5 or so minutes and then do it again so I am thinking definitely something in the heads like valves or valve guides/seals or maybe PCV system etc the engine bay also fees too hot so i might need to buy a cheapo gauge to see what the temp is doing but the smoke really throws a spanner in the works as I wanted to leave the engine build until last and I don't think it's worth spending money on the standard RS heads. I do have some nice V3 STI heads ready to go but they need the wrx pistons to go with it

I still might proceed with ECU and Fuel system first, then twisted setup then engine build if I can but need to have a think about it.

I have a few pictures does anyone know of a decent free photo hosting website?
    Last edited by JELISS; 19th April 2022 at 07:13 PM.
    Are You Jealous?

Quote Originally Posted by JELISS View Post
    I think i am sold on the Link ECU ! thanks for input!

Another quick update...

Last week i gave her a full detail, the whole car cleaned including engine bay, clay bar, polish and wax, interior all done including the leather seats etc. She came up really nice! I am driving it around locally at the moment and the popping and farting and everything seems to be fixed now although I am only cruising it at low boost at the moment and everything seems nice and smooth.

But it does look like I have a problem, it seems to pour smoke out big time and then clear up for 5 or so minutes and then do it again so I am thinking definitely something in the heads like valves or valve guides/seals or maybe PCV system etc the engine bay also fees too hot so i might need to buy a cheapo gauge to see what the temp is doing but the smoke really throws a spanner in the works as I wanted to leave the engine build until last and I don't think it's worth spending money on the standard RS heads. I do have some nice V3 STI heads ready to go but they need the wrx pistons to go with it

I still might proceed with ECU and Fuel system first, then twisted setup then engine build if I can but need to have a think about it.

Pic hosting is a good question. I've not found anything since the photobucket disaster.

I use imageshack but pay a subscription each year as I have loads of photos and honestly can’t be bothered moving them to a free platform.

Many seem to use imgur these days. It’s really hit and miss with the free services as they will most likely end up as a subscription once they have a decent user base and you’re hooked in using them (like I am with Imageshack).

Smoke sounds ominous. What colour is it? That could have a bearing on where it’s from and what could be looked at. It could be leaking turbo seals between boost events if it’s blue and intermittent. If running full synthetic you’re unlikely to see any smoke from this.

Cheers

Bennie

The smoke is definitely blue. No coolant in oil and no oil in coolant.

I run Castrol Edge 10/60 which i think is the only oil I have ever ran in this car.

It used to do it ever so slightly before I parked it up but I remember I took the TD05-20g off and put a td04 (still on car) to test it and had the same result so I ruled out turbo back then but because it sat I won't rule it out just yet... I am still leaning towards the heads and valve stems/seals as it sat for a long time and when I started it up I put an engine flush/clean through it so maybe any carbon etc that was sealing it was cleaned through.

But i am more than happy to take any ideas at this stage, it isn't rings as I checked the compression and it would be more constant.

I will also not rule out the PCV but I do remember changing it to a brand new one at one stage but as it sat for a while it might be gummed up, I will check it as it pretty easy to get to and cheap to fix.

I need to do something as I don't really think it is driveable like that I mean the car feels perfect apart from the smoke but when it comes it is a lot of smoke! but when I checked I had not used any oil?!

Oh and I ended up getting an alternator plug from Rocket Industries for about $5 so pretty happy with that and all wired in now!
    Are You Jealous?

Just drive it for now. You have earned it. If you plan a motor change at a later point then as long as it's nice to drive a few puffs are nothing but mildly annoying.

Mine drops a good puff of oil smoke on start up. Been like it for 20,000kms now. Old girls like ours love a good fart or two when they wake up. Lol

Getting there

been using castrol 10/60 for yrs, good stuff, but i change the oil very regular, specialty after race wars, fresh when i start and drop it after the event, because "OILS AINT OILS Sole "
    some use Penrite 10/60 ester base true synthetic and swear by it,,,
    1992 white RS Liberty
    STI DCCD spec 6 speed
    built by oversteer
    financed by my ex wife

Oil rings don’t do much for compression, other than keeping oil away from gumming up the combustion rings (over time). They could still leak sufficient oil past to burn in the cylinders.

Worst case scenario you have a cracked ring land - that’ll show up with boost or after coasting off throttle from my experience.

I’m hoping it is something that is relatively “easy” such as valve stem seals, turbo seals or the PVC valve.

Cheers

Bennie

I had to take a break from the RS as i needed to construct a 30m retaining wall (95% complete) and also i have just started a new job so have been pretty busy for the last couple of weeks and will be busy for the next couple of weeks.

I haven't done much more on the RS but i will be getting back to her in the next few weeks...
    Are You Jealous?

I haven't used it in a while but I'd still go with Imgur. If it ever gets paywalled/blocked, you can just re-upload somewhere else. No biggie.

https://imgur.com/upload

I have no doubt everyone is super keen to see some pics of your extensive efforts and progress!

Thanks for all the updates! Sounds like you are enjoying the journey of reviving the old girl!

Still not much done on the old girl just yet besides taking it for a spin (still smoking) and another quick wash to put the cover back on it. I will order the new computer shortly.

Looking at options for the engine. I would rather keep the EJ20G even though it's old tech now, I guess I will call Subaru and see if there is a gasket kit for the ej20G/K still available although I am not holding my breath and may have to buy them individually and see what is available genuine vs non genuine but I always prefer genuine.
    Are You Jealous?

... a couple of memories for you maybe? I had a lot of respect for this car. Really nice example.

Getting there

lookin good there
    1992 white RS Liberty
    STI DCCD spec 6 speed
    built by oversteer
    financed by my ex wife

Damn ! yep definitely a long time ago although I am struggling to remember exactly where that was.

It still pretty much looks the same from the outside but a lot of mods have gone into her since and a lot more to go !!

Ads - I will muck around with imgur thanks for the suggestion.
    Are You Jealous?

The Professor BIG POSTER Billsy's Avatar

Good to see some more love heading towards the RS.
    Having a fast FWD is like coming out of the closet. Sure you will surprise some people but in the end, everyone knows you're gay.

Hi Billsy ! great to hear from you ! hope your well ?

Quick update, I have put the RS on hold as I am overhauling my garage including full epoxy floor, new shelving and a new 4 post hoist will be all installed, I am doing it all myself so will need to complete it all before I resume work on the RS.

I have been ordering parts for it slowly, although some of them are pretty hard to track down these days ...

Quick question, as the EJ20G/K gasket kit's have been discontinued from Subaru does anyone know if any other model will fit or a good aftermarket kit available in Australia ??
    Are You Jealous?

Looks like a delay on the hoist, around 8-10 weeks so I will need to delay doing the floor as well. I have started getting some parts for the engine rebuild.

Genuine Water pump with all brand new bolts.
    Genuine 12mm Oil Pump with all brand new bolts.
    Gasket kit - EJ20G/K gasket kit is no longer available so I ordered another model WRX then ordered the ones that are not included separately.
    Genuine Thermostat with brand new bolts for cover.
    Genuine Timing Belt Kit (No longer available but can order parts separately).
    Are You Jealous?

Wow how much did that lot set you back? Stuff is so $$$$ now.

Looks like a delay on the hoist, around 8-10 weeks so I will need to delay doing the floor as well. I have started getting some parts for the engine rebuild.
    I understand the wait. I ordered mine in Feb didn't get it til early May, but trust me, oh so worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Wow how much did that lot set you back? Stuff is so $$$$ now.
    Alot !! the problem is if I don't get a lot of this stuff now then I won't be able to get it at all !! Plus i pretty much need to replace everything brand new as it's all over 31 years old now!!

I also only intend to build one engine for this car ... Do it once, Do it right...

There are a lot of parts/gaskets etc that are not available and there is no replacement so after market is the only option, for example the RS comes with an modine oil cooler which the WRX's didn't get for a few years later which is different. There is a O-ring gasket that sits under it and it's 59.4x3.1 well they are not available anymore so the only option is to go aftermarket or buy the new mondine filter at over $800 genuine or go aftermarket oil cooler (which I am anyway) and that's just one example. But trying to work all the part numbers out and what it's been superseded with is not easy!!

Anyway picked up some more parts that were on back order from Subaru.
    Are You Jealous?

Let me know what parts you need I have around 25 x 70 litre boxes of rs/gt parts out in the shed and think I have a spare oil cooler or two out there
    Current Daily: my06 Liberty 3.0R Spec B wagon..... Family wags
    The Toy: My92 Cherry Black JDM Legacy RS Turbo Sedan. far from stock
    The Other toy: My92 222 Liberty RS Turbo wagon.
    The Other other toy: My00 Silver GC8 WRX... Near stock.
    The other other other toy: 1969 Datsun 1600 FJ20et with Twin Webers.
    For Sale: My90 yellow plate import Legacy GT Wagon finished in blue

Thread Information