Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few questions on liberties.

vindago

Default A few questions on liberties.

hey guys, firsly gotta say i like these forums, i've always been a fan of subaru's and especially liberties and just found this site the other day.

firstly im looking at getting a liberty in a few months, probably not an RS tho as firstly i couldnt afford it and i couldnt afford insurance (im 17) at the moment i've got a f00l sick volvo 244dl and now that i have finished getting a decent system in it im gonna start pulling together money for a new car.

I was wondering what the non turbo liberties are like? between say 1990/94? which models should i go for and are the problem similar to the RS liberties? weak gear box etc? i wanted an AWD one rather than just FWD just for a bit of extra fun, is there anything i need to watch out with with these? my budget is around $8-9g i should be able to pick up a decent example of a non-turbo liberty for that shouldnt i? like a 92" or something?

anyways, thanks in advance.

Jon.

Yela24

i was able to pick up a 91 model for 6000 and it was money well spent. The gearboxes are fine in the N/A liberty. Mine gets a good flogging and the box is fine. Mine is a GX AWD sedan. When i bought it it had 233000k's on the clock but it is now 260ish and still goes really well so dont let k's turn you away from the car if it is cheaper than others on the market. There isnt really too much to look out for. in my experience they only rust at the bottom of the A pillar and in the gutters on the roof if they havent been cleaned.
    I have had no problems with my car and if you get problems it's pretty easy to fix. Go for an AWD, Once driving a AWD you wont like driving a FWD suby.
    With your bidget you should be able to get a good car

RSLC Wh0re BIG POSTER subarursliberty's Avatar

Gearbox's are similar except they don't have as much power running through them. In saying that I have smashed 2nd gear in a FWD and my mate has been through 2 2nd's in his AWD.
    1992 Subaru Liberty Workshop Manual Complete
    http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...ad.php?t=70542

vindago

ergh, thats crappy about the gear box thing, about how much is it for replacement/repair? also how many kW are say 91/92 GX sedan's stock? do they have much up and go? what could you compare it to in speed?

Large member

91/92 Gx's are 100Kw at flywheel standard. they have power to weight of 11.95kg/1kw compared to a RS's 9.22kg/1kw so they have a bit of up and go... the'd nearly be dead even with a VL commondore of the lights.

to repair/replace the gear box ull be lookin between $600-$1000 includin labour

No reason why gearboxes should break anyway..... there are some Subys running 100% more power than a GX at the wheels (!) with no gearbox troubles.... sorry but only people that don't drive very well break gearboxes it sbeen proven time and time again.... be nice to your machinery and it will benice to you!!!!!
    Same thing with something like a Gemini diff.... some people complain they break all the time and then you get guys running race cars and nuts Gems on standard diffs and never have a problem... comes down to how you drive it.
    So it should be a non-issue in something like a GX.

Mat :shock:
    "Women are like Voltron... the more you hook up, the better it gets!" - Tucker (Blue Team)

vindago

ok wicked thanks guys, well, i think im a pretty good driver and would be very kind to the car seeing as i will be saving for ages to get it

maybe in a couple years upgrade to an RS but i am a little eagre to join the Liberty family

cheers.

Sorry DrMat but your wrong!!! i know guys that have broken gears driving to the local shops, or comming on to an exit ramp off a hwy.. and both occations it was when there cars hit full boost..

Nah sorry G.... cars don't just "break" gearboxes coming on to boost... unless you're running some massive amount of boost that comes on like a hit of nitrous. There just isn't enough torque going through the box to break it is normal driving. Yes they may have broken at that time but what abuse were they put through before then? Thats almost as dumb as people that blame engine blow up son the type of petrol they used. If what you are saying was the case then every quick WRX or any car for that matter would have broken boxes by now... and if they broke just driving to the shops coming on boost then they'd never be able to take off quick from the lights cos theres a hell of a lot more pressure on the gears then than once you are rolling.

"Women are like Voltron... the more you hook up, the better it gets!" - Tucker (Blue Team)

Around 200kw's atw's has done it!! yeah sure, if its had a hard life, that doesnt help.. but it does happen.. on one occation it stripped "all" the teeth off third gear..

Anyway back on topic.. vindago, i think u should be safe with the gearbox in a GX, like said previously they can break, but would take abit of punishment when the sort of power a standard GX makes

Just off topic again for one second.... was it a niec easy shift into third and as the boost came on it ripped them off or was it a full throttle power shift... if would be the first one i have heard of that had done it just undernormal driving... but as i said and you as well.... if it has been abused and has a problem already then it can go anywhere.

Yeah that was my point from the start.. im talking in gear breaks..

vindago

oh well, the price you pay for a nice car ;)

You should be sweet with a GX box vindago, and even when u upgrade to an RS later, pretty big power is required to strip teeth in gear most of the time..

Gx's with fwd absolutely rock... as they weigh considerably less than their awd counterparts... and.. have tha ability of... losing heaps of traction due to inertia shifting

I am not sure if the comment was related to the 2wd or awd variants.. however I know that my GX fwd.. with 260,000km on it... a pod filter and revised intake pipework.. and a rear muffler replacement... was SLIGHTLY quicker than a n13 SSS pulsar.. I ran a few of them and was always asked.. "is that turbo ?? " or "what have u done to that ??"

My gearbox was showing signs of a hard life at 265,000 however I thrashed it every day..
    MY07 Liberty GT Spec B - Far from stock
    MY93 RS Liberty Wagon - Work in progress
    MY85 Fine Assed Fiance [SAS20T] - The love of my life

~ memento mori ~

RSLC Wh0re BIG POSTER subarursliberty's Avatar

My mate had to put his in low wheel range just to keep with my FWD. They don't handle to bad when lowered as well. Not as good as an AWD though.
    1992 Subaru Liberty Workshop Manual Complete
    http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...ad.php?t=70542

u have all neglected to mention the most important thing: even a gx with a zorst sounds fuxking unreal....nothing beats the boxer burble

Large member

yeah GX's from 89-93 sound hot. 1994 and onwords dont have the real boxter note

Vindago: I'll sell you my RS.

I want a GT Legacy now.
    When did you realise that you were actually going to lose?

vindago

hey guys didnt check this for a bit. good to hear this stuff, i like the idea of AWD for now for a few reasons, i like the sound of a decent zorst but basically i want a quiet car for sound reasons. im gonna make a very nice system in it. but anyways. thanks again

i had my gear box rebuilt about 40k ago. now 245000 on the clock. 91 man awd wagon.you WILL stuff your box if you flat shift 1st 2nd 3rd from the lights racing ss commos.

The good new is in the wet you can laugh your arse off at them sitting there just spinning. just get a bit tougher clutch is my advice.

vindago

thanks ambo, heavy duty clutch was one of the planned mods, im not much of a racer tho give it time.

thanks agin.

n00b

Hey all
    I think that a gx is a great way to be introduced to subarus. I have been driving one for nearlly 4 yrs.without a prob at all. I haev got 15 inch rex wheels and lowered 1 inch with a loud muffler. And I have scared a few rexes drivers from racing not sure why but I guess the pussy theory fits. What I am trying to say is that they are awesome. I have a front driver and this has saved me from destroying a box or to. But that is cause I am a heavy futted driver some times. But having driven my mates galant vr4 on 15 psi one occasion up to 22 I am now converting mine as it is working out cheaper and that leaves money for mods which is always a good thing.
    By the way great forum, I only just discovered it and now my eayes are finally open.

nothing wrong with FWd .... would love to share my pics but wouldnt have a clue how to add them here[/list]

vindago

ok well, i think what i will do is just go out looking for a GX liberty, if i find a really nice FWD version i will get it, if i find a nice AWD version i will get it... there arent many for sale in Perth from what i've seen so it will make the choice easier im sure

god i cant wait to get my first subaru...

anyone done any extensive audio installs in one? how do they sound? any troubles along the way?

legacy's liberty's have great sound staging and plenty of room for install..

only problem is my door panels shake like shit after too many years of sounds running thro them.

need a sound deadening job..

vindago

ahh good to hear, i was planning on using around $200-$300 in G-Spot serenity max sound deadener in the doors and boot to get rid of the rattles.

could you tell me what size the front speakers are standard in a 92 GX? are they in the doors or the dash etc.

cheers

SUBYDAZZ

Default Subarus in general

Front speakers are 5" Clarions standard, located in the doors, and pretty good quality for what they are.

If your into Subarus in general at all in addition to this here fine forum, you should also check out the Ausubaru messageboard: http://www.ausubaru.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl and website.

On the topic of Libertys, you won't be disappoitned, they are all great. Aim for a low km one from 92 to early 94 (before model change) for best value. FWDs are a little quicker because of the extra weight thing, but you can't go past the AWDs, wagons are cool too. Here's some pics of my NA Liberty:

http://www.ausubaru.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1059920744

Enjoy!

vindago

ahh thanks for the info. im gonna be making door pods and putting my current clarion/alpine/phoenix gold system in but good to hear they have decent stock standard gear

Default Re: Subarus in general

Quote Originally Posted by SUBYDAZZ
    If your into Subarus in general at all in addition to this here fine forum, you should also check out the Ausubaru messageboard: http://www.ausubaru.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl and website.
    Nice ride and good pics too. What type of spotties are they??

I had what looks like the same on my lib when i bought it but they got smashed! Just want to get the same. I had a spot and a spread and damn if they arent good.

Default me tooo

good question...i wanna know what spotties they are too

SUBYDAZZ

Default Spotties

The spotties are 140mm NightVision spots. They make a huge difference because the hi beam on Subes has never been renowned for it's effectiveness, plus the bull bar makes it worse on mine.

NightVision isn't the best brand or quality in the world, but have been very good to me, have had them over 3 years now on two Subarus and have only blown one of the 100w globes. Cost around $120 I think new, Supercheap stocks them usually. Comes with clear plastic lamp covers, and rubber grommets for extra protection too. I recommend them.

SUBYDAZZ

Default vindago's search for a Liberty

Take your time searching for a Liberty, they can be hard to come by, especially with low kms and service history and good nick etc. Don't rush into it. You will probably discover this very early on - people hold onto them and they have a relatively high re-sale price too.

Vagrant

I bought my 1990 NA liberty FWD about 4 months ago, never owned a suby before but have always loved the shape and the sound of the early 90s subarus. 160,000ks with full service history for $5000. Just for peace of mind i took it to 2 different mechanics i now for a full check over and they both said its in excellent shape. I think for the first time ever in my driving life yesturday a pinkslip test for rego took all of 5 mins and passed easily. All ive done to it is a sports exhaust system and a cheapass conefilter. Now it is a bit of a slouch thru first but thru 2nd and 3rd up high it goes quite well. enuf to be proud of. Just select your marks well It can beat most 4 bangers out there. Even some VL drivers with big shiny chrome 17inch rims that look the part but went like a pile of shit like the other night :twisted: . A very good cruise car as well. Very comfortable to drive, while still keeping the hoon element in there.

Go for it m8, I bought my 2nd Subaru..a 90 Lib GX wagon...awsome car, I have the plush interior and AWD is nice..I put a Lukey chambered muffler on it and you hear it and look for the REX...or Ialways get asked is it a turbo??It puuurrrrrrsssssss nice.

As for the sound system I have put 6"in the rear, 6" in the front with pods,and a 12" sub...get a nice sound.

Get the windows tinted and put some nice wheels on it and you are set.

Just watch for rust in behind the rear door and just below the window....commo in all Libs...here is a pic of mine, I didnt even pay 6k for mine..it is a bit of a shitty photo..

Thread Information