Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why does everyone hate VTEC?

Default why does everyone hate VTEC?

Hi all.

I hear a lot of sh*t thrown at VTEC owners on this forum quite often. However, after looking at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzW8ECb5xWk

it looks as if a few RS owners would be put to shame by a VTEC motor!

Is there something stupid about them that I'm completely missing? They look like an economic yet extremely competitive motor to turbocharged engines - just look how quickly the car in that video goes from 100-200km/h!

So yeah, tell my VTEC sucks and why turbo is good!

I hope the engine was warm before he did that to it..
    RIP WGX and Suzuki Across

Old Ride = Gen 2 GT converted to single snail power see: Now sold

New Ride = Gen 4 converted to snail power....

In my time with RSLC I have brought/sold/traded to the following members:
    claydog, 90legacy, dja, thang33, Yods, Geach, legacytt, Legacy555, Scrim, Raz, Deefa, JAD_NOOSE, igboyscottyb, tassieRX, Rstim, Skippy, BJM, Crusin, Slo RS, Steve83, stockvltexec, anark1, danny40, 4ce_full, scrumpy, rosco104, Reece12 and many more

vtec, vvtli, etc have basically the same characteristics as a highly strung turbo motor.
    i.e poor low down torque
    you get nothing until 5k RPM and then whooska, here comes the 7K redline
    ever driven a Sportivo Corolla ?? or even an echo??

yeah it's shedloads of fun provided you keep it above 5krpm (6speed helps in the rolla) but get the revs down and it's doughy and boring as bat sh!t...

if it's gonna be NA ya gotta have cubes...
    Quote Originally Posted by rec01l
    Northern hemisphere engines rotated in the opposite direction, legacys included.
    This means they require an anti-timing belt and a different orientation on the water pump polariser

there is some pretty fast ones up here in brissy. ive had a few close calls

heheheheeh

That being said, I would love to drive an S2000.
    From what I have read on these thing VTEC is the best of the bunch. As they have dual profiles on the camshafts or some shizzle like that, basically like a switch. Where as VVTi mearly advance and retards timing on a set profile. Honda make some good stuff so I trust that their setup is far superior to their competitors.
    I think it is great, economy and usable power in one engine.

Just like turbo vehicles a select few will always go out and be idiots and make a bad rap on a 'brand'.

It has been a while so someone will no doudt say I'm wrong!
    Last edited by niggel_e; 19th May 2008 at 10:50 PM.

claydog, 90legacy, dja, thang33, Yods, Geach, legacytt, Legacy555, Scrim, Raz, Deefa, JAD_NOOSE, igboyscottyb, tassieRX, Rstim, Skippy, BJM, Crusin, Slo RS, Steve83, stockvltexec, anark1, danny40, 4ce_full, scrumpy, rosco104, Reece12 and many more

Formerly "CaptainGX" BIG POSTER Jim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niggel_e
    That being said, I would love to drive an S2000.
    From what I have read on these thing VTEC is the best of the bunch. As they have dual profiles on the camshafts or some shizzle like that, basically like a switch. Where as VVTi mearly advance and retards timing on a set profile. Honda make some good stuff so I trust that their setup is far superior to their competitors.
    I think it is great, economy and usable power in one engine. Just like turbo vehicles a select few will always go out and be idiots and make a bad rap on a 'brand'.

It has been a while so someone will no doudt say I'm wrong!
    from what i recall , isnt VTEC actuated by oil pressure against a variable cam shaft which changes the lobe size or something like that ?

yeah i thought it had something to do with oil pressure as well. That sounds right.

Advanced n00b

Actual definite definition from Wikipeida.

VTEC (Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is a valvetrain system developed by Honda to improve the volumetric efficiency of a four-stroke internal combustion engine. This system uses two camshaft profiles and electronically selects between the profiles.

The newer ones are i-VTEC (intelligent Vtec) is as the name sames, more intelligent, more efficient.

I have just recently ungraded too it too.

;)
    Successful Traders - Adrian, Kenan, so00be

Yeah Niggle is close, once the engine is at a set/determined load point. An additional 3rd lifter is activated which runs on a high duration , This will keep the inlet valves (2) open for abit longer to allow more air to be drawn into the cylinder.

its used both for economy and power. the engines are great and are bloody reliable! We havnt had any late model Honda's come in with engine problems.

The new 3.5ltr Vtec 6 is unreal. it comes in the new Accord's and My god they have some balls for a NA. My car of choice in the Honda line up.
    Sold 300kw B4 liberty CP9A EVO 5 now

Advanced n00b

But i guess for the original question, 'Why does everyone hate Vtec?'

Who knows..
    But my guess is just because of all the young inexperienced drivers, who have never experienced a 'throw you back' kick in like a turbo does. And they brag to their friends etc etc.

Personal opinion though.

So basically even though everyone says "VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO" (and its getting old now), they do go quite hard, except for when like, having a drag from the line because it doesn't actually open the valves to "race height" until 4500rpm is hit, right?

VTEC is very similar to the dual-stage intake manifold done by subaru on the JDM N/A EJ20's.

+ most of cars with vtec are front wheel drive yes?
    James.

Advanced n00b

Quote Originally Posted by scrim
    + most of cars with vtec are front wheel drive yes?
    Correct.

Advanced n00b

Quote Originally Posted by ballistix
    So basically even though everyone says "VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO" (and its getting old now), they do go quite hard, except for when like, having a drag from the line because it doesn't actually open the valves to "race height" until 4500rpm is hit, right?

VTEC is very similar to the dual-stage intake manifold done by subaru on the JDM N/A EJ20's.
    They do go very hard.

They are still quite quick off the line, but when it gets to around 5.5k it just goes and goes...

A few breathing mods help it alot too, and the intake noise (on mine anyway, full Injen intake) is one of the best i have heard.

147k stock figure (K20A) is quite an impressive figure for a 4 cylinder you have to admit.

would you say its faster at low revs than a turbo'd soob? Heard a lot of people say driving a vtec car is like driving a turbo car without the kick of the turbo..
    James.

Advanced n00b

Quote Originally Posted by scrim
    would you say its faster at low revs than a turbo'd soob? Heard a lot of people say driving a vtec car is like driving a turbo car without the kick of the turbo..
    Well, I cannot compare. Being 18 im unable to drive turbo cars legally.

But its definitely faster then my old 2.2 LX FWD.

that sucks a bit then! (move to tassie, im 18 too)

Can anyone else elaborate?
    James.

Scrim, It's kind of like driving a larger displacement NA. Albeit one with a little less bottom end.

Hyde, you may want to update your sig. "FWD is Ghey" eh?

Advanced n00b

Quote Originally Posted by LE94CY
    Scrim, It's kind of like driving a larger displacement NA. Albeit one with a little less bottom end.

Hyde, you may want to update your sig. "FWD is Ghey" eh?
    Haha. Woops. Done.

I think the whole hating on vtec thing might come from Americans arguing over jdm this and that on their civics all the time..?

I for one think honda makes good cars, I'd love a B16 eg/ek civic as a daily and I'm a big fan of a certain K20 CRX putting around canberra too
    gx power(less)!

wow..
    a variable length inlet manifold has very different characteristics to altering the lift and duration of valves through a variable timing mechanism.
    1. shred the nar

owning it. (snowboarding, surfing, skating) the word "nar" is a bastardization of the classic adjective used to define something as cool (gnarly).

Ummm I would say that VTEC is more akin to AVCS!
    Paddo mcBang!
    "The thing is, itís a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the leverÖ ĎAm I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power station Ė Iím a gearbox! Oh, heavens, Iím gonna swap some cogs around!" - JC

S2000 is FR, NSX MR. apart from that all fwd's. Did they make a CRX with VTEC? I'ld buy that! VTEC from all accounts that I have heard are better low down than you would think. Due to the dual profile camshafts, the smaller/lower profile actually makes some good bottom end power.
    Like any car, can be quci off the line... Just give it heaps of revs!

People don't like it more for the stigma that is attaced to the driver of said vehicle. VTEC is great. The probelem lies with the drongo that owns it and thinks that they know everything about their wikid VTAK. when knowing nothing at all, thus making a fool of themselfs and of like vehicle owners across the country.

Some people hate all turbo cars some hate V8's. Skylines.

Performance car stigma!

haha woops, I meant to be asking if it IS similar to the dual stage intake manifold, haha I wouldn't make a statement about something that I'm asking about haha.

haha woops, I meant to be asking if it IS similar to the dual stage intake manifold, haha I wouldn't make a statement about something that I'm asking about haha.
    Toyota's old TVIS would be more like the dual-stage intake manifold done by subaru.

Accepted typo

Moderator BIG POSTER

Yes there are fast hondas, same as every make/model. Next?
    Quote Originally Posted by dja
    im not a doctor
    Mr. Miyagi didn't teach the Karate Kid to believe in himself. He taught him how to kick people in the fucking head.

I think this video explains V-TEC the best.

http://www.youtube.com/v/0tZlCx9VYkI&hl

RSLC Wh0re BIG POSTER

VTEC = the cool.

What sucks huge balls are the pimply faced knuckle draggers who own VTEC Hondas with huge shiny cannons, and then drive them everywhere at max noise. Fckuing annoying, and I'm sure Soichiro Honda would be shuddering in his grave......
    1991 Legacy RS *SOLD*
    1993 ST202 Celica *SOLD*
    2004 H6 Outback *SOLD*
    2010 Caddy TDi *SOLD*
    2013 Audi A1 *SOLD*
    2006 Fiesta LX

i don't think everyone hates V-Tek bro, its more they just like giving shyte to the drivers... boy racer jap style.
    Most likely started in the States during the Fast and the Furious stages.

RSLC Wh0re BIG POSTER

Quote Originally Posted by Robbks
    vtec, vvtli, etc have basically the same characteristics as a highly strung turbo motor.
    i.e poor low down torque
    you get nothing until 5k RPM and then whooska, here comes the 7K redline
    ever driven a Sportivo Corolla ?? or even an echo??

yeah it's shedloads of fun provided you keep it above 5krpm (6speed helps in the rolla) but get the revs down and it's doughy and boring as bat sh!t...

if it's gonna be NA ya gotta have cubes...
    Sorry Rob, but an S2000 and NSX do ok down low with VTEC. Sure, they're not competing at stump-pulling comps with LS1s and such, but they're perfectly tractable from 1500rpm+, moreso in my mind than a stock 2L STi.

Like Bosc0 said, it's not so much that VTEC-equipped cars are sh*t, it's that too many n00bs get them and start prattling on about VTEC powahhhz. This largely stemmed from the USA in the late '80s/early '90s, when 1.6L Civics started beating those dodgy old "fox body" '80s Mustangs and 305ci Camaros at the drags.
    test

Glad to be corrected by Marv...he hath muchos grande knowledge compared to me on this one.
    i was in a ranting mood last night.

yep, VTEC's are noisy and slow**

**when fitted with shiny (oyh-moi-goyd-brro) milo-tin exhausts and 400kg, 20" chrome wheels, uleh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rec01l
    Northern hemisphere engines rotated in the opposite direction, legacys included.
    This means they require an anti-timing belt and a different orientation on the water pump polariser

Part of the "VTEC just kicked in" comes from the early days when they only had two cam profiles and switched from one the the other at a set RPM. In the earlier Honda VTEC engines you could actually feel the cams change by the feel of the engine.

Newer systems including Subaru's AVCS and Toyota VVTi are variable and just alter the cam timing. Subaru however also use variable lift in some of their EZ30 motors. They have a hydraulic lifter in them that increases the valve lift when it's supplied oil, like the earlier VTEC systems it's either on or off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    melted butter and a stack hat??? Not again - i'm still sore

RSLC Wh0re BIG POSTER

Quote Originally Posted by Robbks
    yep, VTEC's are noisy and slow**

**when fitted with shiny (oyh-moi-goyd-brro) milo-tin exhausts and 400kg, 20" chrome wheels, uleh!!
    I love it when Honda owners make their cars look like all the other NA Lancers you see running around the place...
    test

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    it's that too many n00bs get them and start prattling on about VTEC powahhhz.
    Understandable.

So, say for example you gave a non-VTEC civic a really really aggressive (correct word?) cam profile, it would in theory go as quick as a VTEC, but all the time?

Thread Information