Thread: Looking at buying a B4!

Default Looking at buying a B4!

Hey guys, I sold my liberty ages ago, but am looking at getting back in to a subbie! The 4wding just isn't doing it for me anymore, espically on my weekly trips on mundairing weir rd, its just not the same!!
    I was looking at a grown ups version of what i had before (89 wagon with the rs motor in it).
    Does anyone own a twin turbo B4? I love the look of these cars, theres PLENTY on the market, you can easily get a good example for 20k. I really want an auto because i'll be working away quite a bit next year and my girfriend that has been living in the uk for the past 7 years isn't manual friendly, she'll be driving the car more than me.
    What can I expect from a B4? Are the twin turbos a good set up? I noticed there are 2.0 and 2.5L on the market, are there imports I should be careful of? Are the tiptronic buttons on the steering wheel any good? I love the idea of having a family freindly car for the missus, and a machine to drive on sundays with the tiptronic.
    I've put an example below of whats on the market.

MY03 B4 20K

Cheers
    <<<------------------------>>>
    EJ20t Wagon... Oh yeahhh

Large member

Vod...

Good touring car. Bilstein suspension, leather, climate control and good space in the rear and boot to carry things.

Auto is the slug of the pack with only 175kw. and as mentioned the VOD or (valley of death) which is the transition between the two turbo's is abit of a pain.

My01+02 B4's have a bad tune from factory and do ping, So be acareful wen buying them as slight big end damage may be present.

ECUtek or aftermarket ECU can tune it out.

And they also hold up pretty well in an accident
    Sold 300kw B4 liberty CP9A EVO 5 now

Hey mate ill just give my opinion i used to drive an rs converted gx and then upgraded to an 02 b4 all its had done is a re-tune to remove the ping and it puts out 155Kw at all 4. For me as im not a real speed freak it was the best thing iv'e ever done. It drives beautifully and is awesome fun to drive. As a daily driver i only really use the first turbo as im changing at 3.5k or so so the VOD doesn't really come into play to much. And then when i do boot it im to busy smiling to really worry about it. Im not sure how the auto is for them but the manual is great fun.

Just go have a drive and like me i sure you will be hooked.
    No more an N/A and aint i glad

Quote Originally Posted by evil_rex
    VOD or (valley of death) which is the transition between the two turbo's is abit of a pain.
    Ahh thats what VOD means lol.
    I did read a review that I just found:

"A small diameter intercooled turbo provides the boost required for acceptable tractability under 4000 rpm; between 4000-4500 an exhaust control valve opens, bringing into play a larger secondary turbocharger which provides the high volume of compressed air needed for maximum top end power."

"The smaller turbo gives the car a solid shove at 3000, then there's a pause between 4000-4500, at which point the twin turbo kick - which is akin to an extra couple of cylinders being switched on -- sends it rocketing forward. It would benefit from a close ratio six-speed box; changing up a gear in the five-speed can feel like those same two cylinders have been switched off if the revs drop below 4000."

It seems like theres a hell of a lot going on at the 4k mark
    EJ20t Wagon... Oh yeahhh

Basicly a small flap opens at 4000rpm (varies in accordance to engine load aswell) which allows exhaust gases to start to spool the secondary turbo, there is a slight pause in power when the occurs but once the secondary is on fullboost you get the second kick they talk about
    Sold 300kw B4 liberty CP9A EVO 5 now

Formerly "CaptainGX" BIG POSTER Jim's Avatar

Best thing to do mate is drive one and if its your thing and you like it, go for it. Dont worry about all the TT bashing that goes on around here, i personally dont think its all that bad, yes it is a complicated system and a pain when its not working right but when it is, its very rewarding ( i seem to think it is anyway ). Its down to personal feeling on the matter, get hands on and see what you think! If your looking in that direction theres also a few nice examples of Gen3 Legacy GTB's on carsales at the moment going at decent prices

n00b

A lot of b4 specific info on ozlib Major points, the alarm is **** and will require a visit to a subie dealer for the master code if you remove the battery, and they ping, get those sorted out (remove the alarm and get a retune) and their great fun.

Thanks for your input guys, now i just need to have a drive of one with out looking like a time waster!
    EJ20t Wagon... Oh yeahhh

In regards to that mate. Find one at a car dealership and waste their time. Their only car salesmen. Which i shouldn't say as my brother in law is one for subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by Choco
    In regards to that mate. Find one at a car dealership and waste their time. Their only car salesmen. Which i shouldn't say as my brother in law is one for subaru.
    Ha ha ok mate cheers
    EJ20t Wagon... Oh yeahhh

My daughters boyfriend is apparently selling his black Gen 3 GT import wagon as soon as it gets the new motor put in (this week) Don't know much about apart from that.
    98 Liberty, V3 STI 13.09 @ 104mph with Zorst, CAI & a 26kph headwind DOH.......so close.

How old am I ? Still old enough to have fun !!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M

Thread Information