Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 13B Turbo powered Brumby build

Great to see your not binning the whole Brumby project mate! so keep the updates coming and with the help of some e85 that ej22 would love some boost haha.

Cheers
    all l need to go fast is to keep the bloody miss's outa tha car!

Auspicious Prick! BIG POSTER dja's Avatar

This is hands down the best build that has ever been on RSLC.
    I totally applaud your dedication to nutting it all out, R&D is a headache.

Look forward to more as you progress, This will be everything the brumby should have been, all 4 mcpherson struts, and real control arms, theres a bloody good chance it will handle, and be a rocket.
    I'm Winston Wolf. I solve problems.
    My Ride: Here
    Stuff for sale HERE
    Mod Guide Here
    The old ride Here

Thanks guys - unfortunately I haven't been able to find much time to work on this for the last 6 months or so but I should be able to get cracking on it again now.

Dan - it should bloody well handle - it'll just be a short wheelbase WRX

Wraith - not 100% sure on engine yet - will build it using this EJ22 for now and may just put RS heads and a TD05 on it (both of which I just happen to have lying around). But will probably keep a lookout for a good front cut - preferably an STi.

I love the amount of fab work going on in this build..... awesome

And the fact that a turbo rotary is going it makes it even better

Quote Originally Posted by Gen1Ham View Post
    And the fact that a turbo rotary is going it makes it even better
    You clearly have not read the whole thread!!
    Current rides
    - 2014 Jeep SRT
    - 2015 Chrysler 300 SRT
    Former Rides
    - 92 RS Turbo
    - 2000 GT-B Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    You clearly have not read the whole thread!!
    Ahhhh fuck

Not much progress of late.

Cut up another Brumby to use the chassis rails as mine needed too much work since I had cut and welded them in a couple of places trying to figure out the best way to do it.
    And got hold of a twin headlight nose cone - spent the day figuring out how to make the nose cone fit on to the widened chasis rail - turned out to be quite easy really.
    So now just need to weld it all up.............

Trying to decide if I should move the WRX floor pan back 50mm to give me 50mm more room for the engine - but this means I need to get another floor and also means the driveshafts will be running on an angle.
    Last edited by niterida; 13th January 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Well I've finished cutting the chassis rails off the old rusty Brumby and got these to fit the Brumby body better than the other ones as well

So I put the new chassis rails on the crossmember and put the engine and box in place as well - there is 75mm clearance from the front of the engine pulleys to the back of the Brumby radiator. Heaps of room for an EJ but really needs custom radiator to mount in the same spot as the Brumby one.

Now the rotary motor is 25mm longer than the EJ and the gearbox adapter is 20mm - so that leaves 30mm clearance still - I might just be able to squeeze it in after all.

And now that I have the RS and its stealing all my good bits from this Brumby I think I might change direction ever so slightly.

The RS is going to be my fun daily driver with a bit of power, a bit of handling and some good looks. And I have bought a hatchback Torana and that will be built along the lines of a circuit car so will have andling as its priority.

And that will leave the Brumby free to be more of a straight line weapon. So the plan now is to run an auto with aftermarket controller and paddle shifters. I want to put a 4 point roll cage in the tray so I thought I may as well run a rear mounted radiator and revisit the rotary motor idea.

Stay tuned....................

Scored a 5 speed auto with sport shift for $325

reading with interest

Has there been more info on this magnificent build?
    cheese is a type of meat

Default 13B Turbo powered Brumby build

Not really - still plodding along with it but nothing worth reporting on has happened really

Large member

Default 13B Turbo powered Brumby build

Check out this Brumby in the 2014 Off-road Championship

https://www.facebook.com/SettlementCreekRacing

Nice Bloody work.

Progress has been glacial on this project due to many things, not least building a new house.
    So my house is nearly complete and I start thinking about a shed. The house is on a funny block that is one title but is 2 lots. So I build the house on one side covering one lot leaving the other one free for selling or building another house later and in the meantime I can build a big shed......
    Except I can't - council regulations won't let me build a shed on the other lot because you cannot have a shed without a house. I have a house I said but they said it doesn't count because it is on a different lot. So I argued that it was one title and I will be living there as if it was one lot but they won't budge - I can't even put up a garden shed never mind a workshop shed
    And I built my house on the other lot so that there is no room for a shed on that side either.
    I don't know what I am going to do but my options are limited :

1. Build a shed without council approval and hope they don't notice.
    2. Rent a shed elsewhere
    3. Put everything in storage
    4. Scrap the project - I will probably be 90 by the time I finish it anyway.

Option 1 is possible because the shed I have in mind is low roofed and won't be seen from the road and the neighbours don't care
    Option 2 and 3 are probably too expensive for me.
    Option 4 is the most likely

But in the meantime I decided to get it to a rolling chassis stage so it is easier to move. The firewall mods are complete so the chassis rails mate up to it and are ready for welding (everything is just sitting in place in the photos with 2 tek screws holding it)

But at least it looks good on wheels

So do you think it is worth continuing or should I scrap it and spend all my money on a full motion race simulator and VR ??

The Professor BIG POSTER Billsy's Avatar

definitely see it through. i binned my frankenstien project and regretted it.
    Having a fast FWD is like coming out of the closet. Sure you will surprise some people but in the end, everyone knows you're gay.

Well I couldn't find a way around my shed dilemna - damn council regulations !!!

So I had no choice but to sell it - I almost cried as it was loaded on to the trailer

But hopefully the new owner will finish it

Advanced n00b

So all sold, done and dusted ;(

What's the new owner's plans with it?

Cheers

Bennie

To finish it
    But seriously he is just going to complete it the way I had planned - body and chassis wise it was all done and just needed a couple of mounts made up for the lower control arms and rear control arms and then everything can be welded back on and drop in the WRX running gear.
    Thats what it made it so sad as I had done all the hard work and there was light at the end of the tunnel................

Advanced n00b

Spewin...

I hope you get to see the finished product!

Cheers

Bennie

Yeah I will keep in touch with the new owner and make sure he finishes it.....

In the meantime I have to get rid of my RS Wagon too

The Professor BIG POSTER Billsy's Avatar

this saddens me
    Having a fast FWD is like coming out of the closet. Sure you will surprise some people but in the end, everyone knows you're gay.

Advanced n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Billsy View Post
    this saddens me
    Which bit?

All because it's beaurocracy gone wrong ;(

Cheers

Bennie

The council bureaucracy is just nuts - I understand the reason but they are splitting hairs

The worse thing is I had a choice of this block(s) of land right in the heart of town where I didn't really want to live (due to crime and noise etc) or 2 - 10000m2 blocks 5 -10kms away where I could have put up a 200m2 shed and lived in peace and quiet.

I chose the town block because I thought the value would increase more - but I am already in negative equity and we haven't even moved in yet ..........

But I haven't had any interest in selling my RS with a tonne of WRX parts for next to nothing so against the better halfs wishes it may be coming with us and just sitting outside under a car cover. Hopefully I can at least get it back up and running and reregistered.

RSLC Wh0re BIG POSTER shaheenis's Avatar

I have just read the whole thread start to finish and feel for you man. It was an interesting project and I am sure quite an experience despite not finishing. I think a lot of us can relate even if on a smaller scale. Life kicks you in the guts sometimes but dust yourself off and focus what is in front of you, not behind you .
    Shaheenis (Tim)
    Turbo EJ22 Powered Legacy GT Wagon at 16psi, slush style.
    Forged EJ22 (Wiseco, Eagle, ARP, ACL), MY98 Heads, V2 RA 7K ECU, ported VF28 with ported RA headers, 380s, Walbro, ||rails,
    Bosch, tough VTD 4EAT, FMIC, AMAuto CAI, 3" Fujitsubo w/ AMAuto divorced dump, STI struts, 4-pots, Whiteline

Thread Information