Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13B Turbo powered Brumby build

Default 13B Turbo powered Brumby build

Just about to start serious work on one of my Brumbys.

Plan is to run a Series 5 13B Turbo motor with AWD running gear from a Liberty or Impreza. The only thing that will be left of the Brumby will be the body

I've got the Brumby - cost me AUD$200 - has good body but no running gear - Perfect !!

And I've got the motor - complete motor with injection, loom, turbo, front mount intercooler - AUD$450. Came with a 5 speed box too but I won't be using that.

Going down to Perth on Monday to pick up a Gen2 Liberty for the running gear ($400) and a set of STi BBS 16" rims ($450)

Total cost so far $1500 :-)

Just finished setting up my workshop and buying most of what I will need tool-wise so now I can get cracking on it. Will start stripping the Brumby and the engine in the next couple of weeks. Will post pics as I go.

Last edited by niterida; 28th May 2011 at 12:33 PM.

sweet as! keen to see if it works out... good luck!! would be mad to see and hear sliding as a rwd
    1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo - Ride Thread
    1993 Subaru Liberty GX Rallye
    - Ride Thread

Yeah, as above...RWD FTW. Series 6 RX7 Gearbag's are good for 9 second cars according to some well known importers.
    I'm itchy.
    It owes you next to nothing, so man up, put a 9inch in the back, skids the f**k out of it...with pics/vids, STAT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    He thought he was in a magical land of wizards, dwarfs and dragons and honest politicians and Top 40 music that didnít suck dog-wang.

a bloke did a 13b to a MY Leone coupe a little while back, should go well in a brumby.
    I think even AWD spec it should smoke at all 4
    Nice workshop!

This is the coupe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6h2fblQfI

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty_Doof
    a bloke did a 13b to a MY Leone coupe a little while back, should go well in a brumby.
    I think even AWD spec it should smoke at all 4
    Nice workshop!

This is the coupe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6h2fblQfI
    Yeah - he is a member of ausubaru.com and I have already spoken to him about it. supposed to be getting me a template for the gearbox adapter.

HiVizStig Supporting RSLC BenTZ's Avatar

if your going to sell the s5 box ( and its good ) dont give it away, they pull good money ($750 ish on the Eastr coast anyway) so that might give you some good $$$$ .
    also the series 6 RX7 runs a pull type clutch so would make mating up a turbo subie box a piece of cake, run mazda flywheel and pressure plate, subie clutch disc, also the rotary flywheel sits a fairway back off the back of the engine so makin g an adaptor plate that bolts to the engine to accept the ej box would be easy could be an inch thick though) also may be worth modifying an EJ flywheel for ease of rin gear placement if the rx7 one is a different diameter.

( yes ive looked into this a fair bit)
    1 final thingto coinsider will be the rx7 sump, as its pretty big and may require some ingenuity.
    best of luck, cant wait to see it finished.
    Ichiban Imports , for all your imported parts and BC coilovers 02 9600 7066
    WSID ET:11.71 1.63 60 ft

How are the internals of the S5 motor? Turbo rotars? Ceramic, Carbon or normal apec seals?
    Bloody good find though, gotta keep this thread thoughout the build!
    92 Liberty GX

Subarus are cool, rotaries are cool. This is made of pure win.

Super Moderator BIG POSTER

I'll be watching this project with lots of anticipation!!

I've only ever head of an L series Subaru with a Rotary engine conversion (12A?) mated to a standard L series gearbox... many moons ago. Little info about it.

As already stated.... should be a fantastic package!
    They say money talks, all mine ever says is Goodbye

Picked up the donor car and the wheels yesterday.

The car :

The wheels - which were bought separately and then put on the donor car so that the missus thinks they came with the car and I haven't spent as much money as I have :-)
    These wheels are just so light - even with the big 21/5/60/16 offorad tyres they still weigh substantially less than something like the std WRX rims.
    Will be getting low profile tyres on them when they go on the Brumby.

And the engine - which may be temporarily fitted to get the car registered :

Those wheel are very cool! Great project!!
    none

Subscribed!

And I like the way you save weight by only using 2 wheel nuts!!! Good thinking.
    1992 Shape Shifter: Gen 1, Series 1 front/Series 2 rear, all in glorious Mica Red/Black. Packed with WRX Sti goodies - last dyno 190kW ATW @ 15psi.

"I'm a success - I started life with nothing and I still have most of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by whiteturbo
    Subscribed!

And I like the way you save weight by only using 2 wheel nuts!!! Good thinking.
    And I'm not running any rear brakes to save even more*

* Not For Highway Use - on and off trailers only :-)

nice methods for deceiving the wife, i approve

look forward to the progress mate
    2005 STi -> Sold http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...42#post1088842

2011 Ducati Monster 659 -> replacement toy

Progress has been made :

hmm so what do a bike rack and a soccer goal have to do with building a car ??

Well they both needed welding and since I have never welded before in my life I though it might be a good idea to practice on something that won't kill me if it fails.

So here are my first 2 attempts at any sort of welding :

Not good but not bad for my first go.
    Last edited by niterida; 28th May 2011 at 12:36 PM.

Can't wait to see the final product should be a real weapon....... I love the sound of a periferal port rotor
    Daily: my06 Liberty 3.0R Spec B wagon..... Family wags
    Toy: My92 Cherry Black JDM Legacy RS Turbo Sedan. far from stock
    The other toy: 1969 Datsun 1600 FJ20et with Twin Webers.
    Sold: My02 Bug Eye WRX
    Sold: My03 Liberty B4

Yeah Peripheral Port would be nice but they don't go so well with turbo's so it will just be ported normally unless I win lotto and get a Peripheral AND side port set up :-)

Quote Originally Posted by niterida
    Yeah Peripheral Port would be nice but they don't go so well with turbo's so it will just be ported normally unless I win lotto and get a Peripheral AND side port set up :-)
    Full cut bridge!

Done some more welding and its getting better but still far from perfect :

But good enough to make this :

Total cost for the rotisserie is a shade over AUD$200 :-)

Which means I can do this :

And strip the Brumby down to this :

Remarkably almost rust free - just a bit under the passenger door (however the front guard where it bolts to the car just here is almost totally gone :-( ), in the tray where the cab meets it and under the windscreen cowl. There's a few dents under the body too that will need to be fixed but pretty happy with it overall.

Next project is to clean the grease and crap off it, strip the running gear from the donor Liberty and start fitting it to the Brumby.
    Last edited by niterida; 28th May 2011 at 12:38 PM.

Nice jig, the rust is a bit sadface though.

how are you going to treat the tray? top project!

Quote Originally Posted by shirtz1
    how are you going to treat the tray? top project!
    The tray isn't rusted - its just dirty.

The rust is just along the bottom of the cab where it meets the tray. Not sure how bad it is yet but probably just cut it out and get a replacement piece bent up to match. Too easy !! famous last words ??

Getting there

here tom

Quick update - I haven't done any actual work on the car since the last update but I have been busy.

Redid some of my rotisserie to make it a lot stronger.

Spent several days organising a million nuts, bolts, screws and washers into some sort of order. This has freed up lots of shelf space and several plastic boxes to put more important Subaru bits into.

Mounted my new vice and bench grinder.

Sold the doors and a guard from the donor liberty for half of what I paid for it.

And most exciting of the lot I have splashed out and bought a fancy alloy radiator, a set of WRX 4 pots, a mechanical 1.5 way LSD and best of all a short ratio DCCD box from a V5 STi RA :-) That has sent me broke though, so I can't even afford to pay for the freight for another 2 weeks.

Not that I can do any work on the car for the next few weeks anyway - I buggered my Median Cruciate Ligament in my knee playing soccer on the weekend. But at least I got my photo in the paper for my troubles - pity it showed me lying on the ground in a quivering mess :-( Off to the doctor again tomorrow to see if I need a scan and a reconstruction.

Getting there

did you widen the lower legs on the rotisserie & make it higher so the body goes upside down ?

Quote Originally Posted by seagull
    did you widen the lower legs on the rotisserie & make it higher so the body goes upside down ?
    No - I just made the adjustable sliding bits stronger.

At the moment the pivot point is not high enough but it will do. If I get to the stage that I really need to spin it further then I will cut the main vertical tube and make the pivot point height adjustable but for now I can live with it.

Small but exciting update :

Dept Of Transport have APPROVED my modifications so I will be able to get this registered !

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO :-)

RSLC Wh0re Event Organiser dtrally's Avatar

Small but exciting update :

Dept Of Transport have APPROVED my modifications so I will be able to get this registered !

Meanwhile.......a customer of mine can't even get a WRX with a straight cut synchromesh gearbox over the pits!
    "This country you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the woman"

If it makes noise - they hate it :/

A mate witgh a 180 got an atmo BOV passed, but when he had nothing on (mmm flutter) and made less noise at normal cruising speeds/shifting, they negged him.

Inconsistant wank stains the lot of them

/rant
    /thankful i've not been made to waste $100 and time.

PS - Well done
    Now with boost - 93 RS

Quote Originally Posted by dtrally
    Meanwhile.......a customer of mine can't even get a WRX with a straight cut synchromesh gearbox over the pits!
    Yeah but getting approval and getting it over the pits are 2 different things - I'm sure they will find plenty to pick on when they inspect it.

RSLC Wh0re Event Organiser dtrally's Avatar

.........so I will be able to get this registered !

Yeah but getting approval and getting it over the pits are 2 different things - I'm sure they will find plenty to pick on when they inspect it.
    That was my point. Getting a modified car licenced in W.A, even with all your paperwork in place is a demoralising, frustrating event.
    "This country you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the woman"

Well due to my knee injury which is still giving me grief I have been unable to do anything except play on ebay and forums and BUY STUFF

picked up my DCCD 4.44 gearbox and diff, radiator and 4 pots. Bought a set of 2 piece DBA 5000 rotors, and another motor - its a bare motor in pieces but has already been ported and everything is in excellent condition, an SX fuel pump with a holley lift and surge tank and a set of coilovers.

And actually did some work - car is almost completely stripped just needs the dash board removed. Haven't decided if I am going to put the good dash out of my other Brumby in or use the Liberty one ??

Stripped and cleaned the engine bay

Stripped the noise insulation stuff from the cab floor - probably close to 20kgs of the shit. Red line shows the damaged sectionthat needs to be replaced - it is badly dented and irrepairable.

found some rust in the cab where the tray meets the rear firewall - easily fixed by removing the entire joining strips and welding them smooth

Found bad rust in the passenger footwell

Last edited by niterida; 1st August 2011 at 11:40 PM.

you have a MASSIVE box ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    He thought he was in a magical land of wizards, dwarfs and dragons and honest politicians and Top 40 music that didnít suck dog-wang.

Quote Originally Posted by bipolRS
    you have a MASSIVE box ;)
    Yeah I didn't compress the size of that photo before I uploaded to photobucket. I have since deleted it from photobucket, compressed it and uploaded the smaller version to PB and it still looks massive

Work has finally started in earnest. I have 2 weeks off and am hoping to get a lot done. Started off by sussing out how to mount the WRX suspension front and rear. Turns out the front crossmember puts the mounting bolts right on the edge of the chassis rail and the lower control arm rear mounts right in the middle of the chassis rail where it starts to come up from the cabin floor. To make it fit would have required major cutting of the chassis which is a total no-no if I want to get it legally registered. So hit a major hurdle on my first thing I started :-(

Did lots of head scratching and looking and thinking and finally came up with a solution. Turns out the kind people at Subaru made the Brumby crossmember with mounting points to fit the lower control arm exactly in the right spot in relation to all the other important bits like the position of the crossmember itself, the steering and the struts. So I am going to use the Brumby crossmember and everything else will be WRX stuff. This only needs a mount made up for the rear of the lower control arm - will cut this out of the donor car and weld it on and will hopefully look like it is there from the factory. The other major challenge with this set up is the CV shafts - they need to be about 60mm shorter so I will have to get custom ones made up.
    But on a plus side it means my track will be about the same and means I don't need to flare my guards.

The rear is a lot easier to do. The diff crossmember just needs about 5mm cut off the ends and will bolt up to the chassis rail. Well it will after I put some new captive nuts inside the chassis itself. The front T piece that holds the front of the diff up will need to be narrowed and the mounts brought in about 100mmm either side and mounting brackets nmade up to run on the inside of the chassis rails and the mounts for the rear trailing arms will line up on the chassis so again just need to weld some captive nuts (might need a bit of massaging of the chassis rail).

This would all fit as described but would then leave me with much wider track at the rear so I will need to get shorter rear control arms. Can do this by cutting and welding or hopefully getting some adjustable ones (if they can adjust far enough). And of course will need shorter CV shafts as well.

Nice lightweight BBS wheel mounted and looking good :

WRX lower control arm and coilover mounted on Brumby crossmember :

Here you can see where the rear mount for the lower control arm needs to be made :

And a shot from below :

And one from in the engine bay :

Thread Information