Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordless Drill and Impact Wrench recommendation

Getting there Event Organiser dane's Avatar

Default Cordless Drill and Impact Wrench recommendation

I have done a bit of quick research on the web and talking to my tradie mates and the recommendation is mostly Hitachi. Is there any other brand that comes highly recommended that I should look at?

The drill probably wont see too much work, but the impact wrench will definatly get a decent work out and will be used for track days (wheel changes etc). I'd prefer to spend a bit more now to prevent buying something that I will just have to replace in a year.

I have got a total tools for the 2 below down to $625 (drill + 2 batteries and charger, impact wrench (naked) and a hard case.

http://www.hitachi-powertools.com.au...D=84&CatID=161

http://www.hitachi-powertools.com.au...D=70&CatID=157

Thoughts? (I want 3.0Ah and decent quality)

Anyone got good hook ups for cordless power tools?
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

I've got Makita and DeWalt. Makita crap all over DeWalt. The DeWalt drill's clutch failed almost straight away and it took ages for it to get fixed under warranty and it is still not 100% correct.
    The Makita Impact Driver used to go almost all day on a single charge when I was using it on my building sites and it was used pretty much continuously.

I'm pretty sure any of the good name brands would do, though I have heard Hitachi are pretty much as good as it gets.

If money is no object Hilti are the best but by far the most expensive.

Milwaukee for sure. Impact wrench does 250nm. Better than any competitor in the compact range. Ebay US is the way forward for the unit and batteries. Buy a charger local from total tools $99.
    -Tim

I have heard good things about Milwaukee, but not sure if the extra price is worth it. The Hitachi wrench outputs 220Nm, which will be enough for what I need. Then comes the added cost of getting an Aus charger. But thanks Tim I will look into it.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by niterida View Post
    I've got Makita and DeWalt. Makita crap all over DeWalt. The DeWalt drill's clutch failed almost straight away and it took ages for it to get fixed under warranty and it is still not 100% correct.
    The Makita Impact Driver used to go almost all day on a single charge when I was using it on my building sites and it was used pretty much continuously.

I'm pretty sure any of the good name brands would do, though I have heard Hitachi are pretty much as good as it gets.

If money is no object Hilti are the best but by far the most expensive.
    Thanks mate I did see a few Hilti units, but was put off by their massif prices.

Makita was the next choice I had, I can get a similar setup for around the same cost.

I dunno about DeWalt either, they seem overpriced for what they are.

RSLC Wh0re Event Organiser

For occasional use, I find it hard to go past the Ryobi range from Bunnings.

Drill, two 18v Li-ion batteries charger and carry bag for $200. 1/2" drive impact wrench skin for $150.

I decided to go for this one because of the price, the impact driver does about 265nm of torque, and the convenience of having only to go to Bunnings if there ever was something to go wrong.

Also a couple of my trady mates like them, rating them higher over their work gear!
    They say money talks, all mine ever says is Goodbye

Won;t comment on the drills, but i like Bosch gear for home/ reasonable use.

but for cordless rattle guns, Can't go past Milwaukee, we give them to firemen here at work and they can't break them

(There's a story about putting a fireman in an empty room with two ball-bearings,
    Check on him in half an hour and he'll have broken one and lost the other)
    Quote Originally Posted by rec01l
    Northern hemisphere engines rotated in the opposite direction, legacys included.
    This means they require an anti-timing belt and a different orientation on the water pump polariser

I priced up the one+ range and for what I want they come to just under $400.

Speaking to a mate who sells the Ryobi stuff said pay the extra $200 as the quality is chalk and cheese.

Getting there

Can't go past Hitachi for value for money.I have had/still have, most of the brands mentioned,been a builder for decades and find Hitachi the best.One handy feature they have is the 18v li-ion batteries are able to be used on all my old Hitachi 18v tools!! Fairly sure all other brands aren't able to do this.
    Cheers Ian.
    Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional..

MY RIDES
    BOTH NOW SOLD.

bolt breaking bandit BIG POSTER mitch's Avatar

If you go with hitachi, make sure you don't get a 14.4 v rattle gun. Mate had one when I was at Gordon brothers, bloody hopeless ! My recommendation would be dewalt. Dw059 most torque out there for size, compared to snap on, etc. But best to get same brand drill and rattle gun so you can swap batteries

P.S dewalt = 407 N.m
    Last edited by mitch; 5th January 2012 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legalcy View Post
    One handy feature they have is the 18v li-ion batteries are able to be used on all my old Hitachi 18v tools!! Fairly sure all other brands aren't able to do this.
    DeWalt are the same - Li-Ion batteries fit their Ni-MH range - which is good because all my DeWalt NiMH batteries are totally farked - and they are hardly used and they were charged/discharged correctly.
    Considering their reputation I am bitterly dissappointed in my DeWalts and there is no way I would ever buy them again.

2 Makita's in 10 years. Id buy another one without question.
    Current one is an 18v previous was 13.2's i think.

NiMH batteries not the Li-Ion but it was about $150ish a few months back from Bunnings with two batteries & charger.
    signature goes here, links were bork'd sorry.

n00b

You can buy a pack I'm pretty sure for makita 454 and impact with the quicker charger well worth it best buy far,

Found the thread I was looking for before I posted this (albeit a little late)

http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...Impact-Drivers

Don't worry Mitch I am going 18V (congrats btw ;) )

I guess all of the well known/expensive brands have been given the tick, so it's more a case of personal experience. I will do a bit more reseach and see how I go.

bolt breaking bandit BIG POSTER mitch's Avatar

Congratulating what? That I am awesome and that dewalt is the bestest?

Bumping this thread! I bought a Ryobi rattler and i was quit impressed with it. This thing is just as strong as my chicargo numatic air rattler lol
    "No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
    My Ride: Here
    Remember you drive a RS not a GTR. !!

we have a hitachi at work, it has been a very solid tool with regular use. only had it for a year or so but the batteries are still as good as day 1 too. I recommend the brand.

Company wide, used and thrashed Dewalt, Metabo, Hilti. All good gear, only 1 dewalt failure. Metabo is on the way out next, but this thing just wont die. It smokes and keeps going. This is for construction type duty levels, dirty, dusty, batteries constantly cycling though the charger. Any of the brands mentioned will do lighter/occasional duty fine if you spend the coin
    Trusted Traders Banshee, BJM, Skippy, Soooobi, BenTZ, 90Legacy, Kezza

Just replaced my makita gear for tax time, the metal gear drill, rattler, 3 3.0ah batts and charger 499.
    Modern plumbing and bathrooms - all areas - 24hrs - 0400 291 557
    •New homes
    •Commercial
    •Renovations
    •Maintenance
    •Blocked drains
    •Waterproofing
    •Professional tiling service

Well I needed a Impact gun for work. I went and brought the Ryobi drill kit ($200 with 2 batteries, charger and drill) and then $150 for the impact driver, the box says it puts out 225 nm? or somthing like that. (you can get it all a LOT cheaper from ebay)

This is NOT ENOUGH to take off wheel nuts in almost all cases (I am an apprentice mechanic) The other mechanic at my work has 2 Snap On Brand cordless impact guns and they poo all over my Ryobi one, They never fail to undo a wheel nut (and if they do then you aren't going to get it with the air powered impact gun either, you need to break out the breaker bar) But at over $1000 each they don't come in cheap. But you do get what you pay for, his older one has lasted years of use every day.
    They can more than half of the time undo a drive shaft nut aswell!

But I just brought a good Air impact gun and that does me now, The Ryobi is good for taking things like bash plates off and stuff, Just not up to the plate of the harder things like wheel nuts.
    1992 Subaru AWD Liberty GX Station Wagon

I have ryobi gear (drill, impact driver, hammer drill, grinder etc.) use most of them everyday and never had a problem with any of them. Would love to have Milwaukee or something but on apprentice wages, ryobi is great bang for ur buck! The Milwaukee 28v stuff has heaps of power though!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrandFraganator View Post
    $150 for the impact driver
    I may be stating the obvious but just in case some people don't realise - There's a difference between an Impact DRIVER and an Impact WRENCH. The driver is for driving in tek screws etc, the wrench is for undoing nuts.

RSLC Wh0re Event Organiser

Quote Originally Posted by GrandFraganator View Post
    This is NOT ENOUGH to take off wheel nuts in almost all cases (I am an apprentice mechanic)
    You must have a dud then. Mine busts the 32mm CV nuts with relative ease.

But what would I know? I'm no mechanic.
    They say money talks, all mine ever says is Goodbye

Just bought a dewalt dcf610, not a bad screw driver but the clutch is a ticking time bomb :-p
    Impact driver is for small nuts n bolts/ screws really. The Impact wrench is for wheels nuts and cv bolts ect. There asre so many new tools out there that confuse anyone who hasnt been to a tool shop in ages lol

i went with a milwulkee drill and impact driver. bought of ebay for $450 new. with aus charger. 2 x 18v 1.5ah batteries. used it heavily mon to sat for almost 6 months. then just the few odd jobs. massive torque from it. kept up with my work mates hitachi for most things. and was less then half the weight. way handier for climbing through a roof and such.

the impact driver... not much use from it.. but when i did use it. found i snapped a lot of cheap screws... lol... it worked really well... just yeah... only used it a few times. went back to the drill cause it had to much torque and no clutch lol...
    it has stuff...

it has more stuff to come...

I have used may of the above mentioned tools (most of them) Working in the mining industry (field service diesel tech) electric is the most used thing around, which took some getting used to as I have amassed a large collection of pnuematic tools over the years which were now useless to me.
    BUT I will say this. Many of the top branded tools are all 100% idnetical and simply rebadged, this means rattle guns, batteries, chargers are all the same ill bring up an example in a moment.
    Ive work with and for hitachi at sites and every other bloke on site regardless of who they worked for had hitachi tools. As its the most common tool around its piss easy to grab spare batteries when you need them.
    Hitachi rattle guns ive used are excellent tools, they are extremely compact and light weight, but at a reduced torque output 220 Nm the average wheel nut is 110nm, so plenty of torqued for wheel swaps at the track. (This is apposed to the later mentioned tools having 610 Nm across the board, say you munch a CV at the track and want to do a quick swap, with an electric......impossible right....not exactly as ill get to in a moment.

Now personally I own a Wurth brand 1/2" gun and drill combo. I ONLY bought these as a friend who ive dealt with for years works for them and always give me ridiculous prices on tools and much greater warranties than the normal suppliers

(BTW milwaukee have great warranty e.g my friend had purchased said rattle gun around 2 years ago. one day it died, he walks into a Sydney Tools store and they simply hand him a new gun. Warranty in his case was 5 years against manufactures defects). Also the my tools are 100% identical to milwaukee which my mate happens to own a set of also, (I can post a pic once im back on the east coast and show you) seeing as we work together it was very cost effective to buy it and we simply swap batteries and use each others chargers at will. We own a rattle gun and drill combo and these are exactly the same bar the branding. These are also the same as snap on and a chicago pnuematic gun ive seen They put out 610nm in reverse.
    This is enough to undo drive shaft nuts on my mothers 93 camry, They were done up the old fashion way with a bar through the studs and a breaker bar with a large pole attached to it.

Now ive never bought tools from a website as im fortunate enough to have over the years built up contacts who can get me stuff at a good price. Give me a rough figure of what your willing to spend I bought my kit (rattle gun and drill plus goodies thrown in for $1000) which for what I bought was a steal. Retail was $600+ just for the drill let alone the gun.)
    heres one link I found which is a good price for whats on offer + free delivery.
    http://www.toolhq.com.au/p-498-milwa...FYhMpgodYiihww

Ive seen 15 piece hitachi kits for sale on grays online for $1300 Buy Now!!! That excuse my language mods is ******* insane value. A 4 piece kit can cost $800 in store. You begin to see the amounts of markup on retail prices.

Points to think about here are: How much you want to spend and,
    When (are you willing to shop around for deals at the expense of waiting a little bit.)
    What tool(s) will suit your intended use. Hitachi is great value for money. Especially shopping around. I mean if you need more than 220 Nm to say undo aforementioned drive shaft you would have the required tools on hand anyway. 600mm breaker bar, a piece of pipe, and another bar to wedge in between the wheel studs (nuts on) to stop the hub turning. Job done

Any further questions just ask.

Shawn.
    To win a fight with a "nascar guy" at the pub, simply turn right.

G'day
    I am an service engineer and I go from job to job on site, I have these both -

Both of them are good, the BTW250 is good for everyday use, if I come across to stubborn bolt, i'll get the other one, I would use it in every 2 out of 10 jobs. 1 job out of 30 jobs the bolt is too stubborn to come out which torque bar is required.
    I've seen Milwaukee large impact driver it has something like 650nm of torque. But I'd rather stick with Makita because i have the batteries (4 of them) for everything.
    I'd stay away from Hitachi and dewalt - both are piece of ....
    Cheers
    AP
    Owns: 95 Liberty GX Sedan "Rallye" AWD *written off 25/8/06
    1996 Liberty GX Wagon Ski FX AWD 5MT D/R sold Nov 2011 at 380,000kms
    2007 Gen 4 Liberty 2.5i Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineRaven View Post
    I'd stay away from Hitachi and dewalt - both are piece of ....
    Cheers
    AP
    I know dewalt have there problems but they feel nice in the hand :-p. I went for the smaller/cheaper tools as they have more than enough power for weak subaru threads

Yea I thought this bloke was talking about impact rattlers screw ones etc. I have a snap on rattle gun and yes it does have good power but let the battery's get down a bit and it's shit. Hey are making 2000nm ingersol air rattle guns now that shit is just crazy I don't know how the sockets hold up to it. All the battery gear is only as good as the battery really. My old Makita impact driver I bought off eBay second hand for 65 dollars plus post from the us when they first come out with a 600 ish price tag it is solid as a rock it gets wet it gets full of mud it gets thrown under houses it falls off roofs it has done quite a few re roof jobs and they say that hey are only supposed to last so many cycles but it loves it. I bought the kit with the new one and the new drill for the batteries because they died after 4 yrs of 6 day a week use, but I am yet to get the new tools out bcuse the old ones still haven't failed. Some of the Makita stuff is probably crap but 4 yrs of abuse on mine and not a problem.
    •New homes
    •Commercial
    •Renovations
    •Maintenance
    •Blocked drains
    •Waterproofing

Quote Originally Posted by moley View Post
    All the battery gear is only as good as the battery really
    So True, I can't wait till the better batteries come out and the air compressor will be a thing of the past

everything I have is Bosch Professional series and I have a Makita Circular Saw. Milwaukee I've been told is made by DeWalt. I would have loved to have bought Panasonic (They are great quality and have awesome batteries too) but If I didn't buy Bosch I would have bought Makita
    Daily: My02 Bug Eye WRX.... Mostly stock for now
    Toy: My92 Cherry Black JDM Legacy RS Turbo Sedan..... Not stock
    Sold: My02 Liberty B4

Don't dewalt li batteries just cut out without warning when there going flat?
    •New homes
    •Commercial
    •Renovations
    •Maintenance
    •Blocked drains
    •Waterproofing

I don't know about the rattle guns but I have put Dewalt and Black and Decker drills side by side and they are the same item. Same specs, same battery. Only difference I found was in the quality of the charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty
    melted butter and a stack hat??? Not again - i'm still sore

Quote Originally Posted by moley View Post
    Don't dewalt li batteries just cut out without warning when there going flat?
    Yes. You notice a small decrease in speed then nothing. It is a pain not getting much of a warning
    Trusted Traders Banshee, BJM, Skippy, Soooobi, BenTZ, 90Legacy, Kezza

Kincrome make a good one
    Go as far as you can see, and when you get there, you'll see farther

Thread Information