Thread: legalities of hi/lo hid kits

Default legalities of hi/lo hid kits

hey all,
    did a quick search. could only find a couple people selling hid kits on here. i have read heaps of stuff on google that all seems to be a bit on the old side (newest post i found was from 2009). but im finding some people saying its legal and some saying in no way is it legal. and some saying if you fit auto leveling headlights with a projector lens and washers then its legal.

so... does any one have any current, relevant information regarding fitment of a hi/lo H4 hid kit to gen 1 ser 2 standard headlights is legal or not.

and i have checked on dept of transport. there wording didnt make sense to me... from what i read on there... anything brighter then a standard 55w bulb is illegal unless fitted with headlight washers.

thanks for any info or suggestions you provide.
    it has stuff...

it has more stuff to come...

also a simple no its not legal read this (post link) is all i really need. just never been able to get a clear answer on this. i will be asking while im at the transport dept on friday to get my license renewed. but further knowledge may aid my questions for them if it comes to that.
    it has stuff...

As far as I know, what you have already stated is true. If you were to fit them you'd need headlight washers. Not 100% sure on the projector lenses but I'm sure someone will clarify.

n00b

You definitely need to have a self-levelling system and washers. I tried installing a H4 hi-lo 4300k eBay kit and found it terrible, light was spread all over the place and was just dangerous for me and other road users. Pulled them out immediately. This may have just been a poor quality kit. I had much better results with some 100/140w h4 globes, huge improvement over standard.

Advice given to me years ago when I fitted HIDs was that as long as the headlights were correctly adjusted they were fine to use.
    At fitment I did need to make quite a significant adjustment to the headlight levels but once done the low beam was far better than the 90W lows they replaced. The High beams were only marginally better.
    "The thing is, itís a gearbox, okay? It has one job to do! One job! Pull the leverÖ ĎAm I a pencil? Am I a cauliflower? Am I a nuclear power station Ė Iím a gearbox! Oh, heavens, Iím gonna swap some cogs around!" - JC

I did ask that question and no one seem could answer that question like what you asked so thought blow it I'll install them, that was 2008. I installed them in Gen 2 with projectors (HID H1 50watt) and was breathtaking light output.
    Sold the car last year. Ive put them in my wife's Gen4 and again breathtaking - lot better than normal bulbs - its HID 50watt H7.
    Ive had them in normal headlight in my FG falcon, properly aligned and removed the shield and the light output again is really good. (havent had flashback still) The kits above are from eBay. Ive been waiting for getting caught but I've been driven past numerous of cops & vicroads officals etc but it seems to be okay, I'm guessing its because I am using 4300k H4 Hi & Lo in the falcon. The liberty has 4300 H7.

Automatic headlight adjustment - not all cars have them. Ive noticed some cars with water squirter - half of them arent working or not connected.
    Cheers
    AP
    Owns: 95 Liberty GX Sedan "Rallye" AWD *written off 25/8/06
    1996 Liberty GX Wagon Ski FX AWD 5MT D/R sold Nov 2011 at 380,000kms
    2007 Gen 4 Liberty 2.5i Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    You definitely need to have a self-levelling system and washers. I tried installing a H4 hi-lo 4300k eBay kit and found it terrible, light was spread all over the place and was just dangerous for me and other road users. Pulled them out immediately. This may have just been a poor quality kit. I had much better results with some 100/140w h4 globes, huge improvement over standard.

I have also seen some bad HIDs kit off ebay. The thing is look at the price, if its real dirt cheap = dodgy, if mid to high price range = good HIDs.
    Some people think its "plug in then switch on" incorrect! - you gotta check the light wiring output of full beam and low beam, otherwise you could be plugging in as full beam in low beam mode, when you flick full beam it goes into low beam and confuses you.

With these H4 HIDs I know retract is low beam, extend is full beam.

I have also seen drivers with excess of 6000k ie. 8000k 12,000k - they're idiots its for show but not for light output and the higher the number the light output is pissweak.
    Cheers
    AP

I used the Philips 6000K HID conversion kit and OMG WOW, they are unbelievable. Even from Philips the conversion kits are not ADR approved... Don't know about the whole headlight washers etc thing though but doubt they'd all of a sudden be legal because of that
    1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo - Ride Thread
    1993 Subaru Liberty GX Rallye
    - Ride Thread

Advanced n00b

If it didnt come standard then its illegal, as simple as that unfortunently. They might not be that strict about that stuff in other states but in vic I wouldn't bother, I would just upgrade to the brightest globes you can.

Well from my understanding of ready it. My current 100/130w gloves are illegal. They put out in excess of 2000 lumens so I shouod have head light washers....

Either way. Thanks for clearing it up guys. I'll just run then in the fog lights and spot lights. And keep my yellow low beam. Using both a yellow and white light works really well with lightning everything up. I don't mean full yellow. But like 4300k and 6000k combo.
    it has stuff...

One of us BIG POSTER bigboyscottyb's Avatar

I reckon hid's are a waste of time, I have had a set in my old rs, my forester and in my current rs, everytime I buy a set and install them I always kick myself, all sets have been 55w 6000k (one set 8000k) I spent decent money on all sets and they are rubbish, if you want to put hid's in projectors perfect, standard headlights like the rs ones your wasting your time and money, this is only my opinion and my experience, so don't flame on...

For hid's to be legal you need to have self leveling headlights and washers

Honestly, I've heard that a lot but my HID setup is incredible!! I will be putting 4300K in the foggies to compliment the 6000K headies... Even with better halogens in my RS I still much prefer the HIDs in my Rallye
    You're welcome to check them out as I get around
    1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo - Ride Thread
    1993 Subaru Liberty GX Rallye
    - Ride Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyscottyb View Post
    I reckon hid's are a waste of time, I have had a set in my old rs, my forester and in my current rs, everytime I buy a set and install them I always kick myself, all sets have been 55w 6000k (one set 8000k) I spent decent money on all sets and they are rubbish, if you want to put hid's in projectors perfect, standard headlights like the rs ones your wasting your time and money, this is only my opinion and my experience, so don't flame on...

For hid's to be legal you need to have self leveling headlights and washers
    Also on the top of that is the type of headlights and how it was installed. Ive also noticed big difference if you remove the cover off the HID H4 bulb - did you do the same?.
    Cheers
    AP

One of us BIG POSTER bigboyscottyb's Avatar

Yer tried both on and off, still wasn't impressed considering how much people rave on about them and the cost of them

Thread Information