Thread: Stock suspension - worth getting strut brace?

Default Stock suspension - worth getting strut brace?

Hi all,

My Liberty has completely stock suspension at the moment (springs and shocks) - and I'm not planning on upgrading/lowering - as my driveway is pretty bad and if I lowered it I'd probably have to park the car out on the street!

However, I want to improve the handling a bit (less body roll) - would it be worth getting strut braces (front and rear) and maybe sway bars? Would these improve the handling even with stock springs and shocks?

Would I need to go for a rear strut brace? (do they even fit sedans?) - or do most people only go for the front?

What about sway bars? Are these well worth the extra expense, or would there be little noticeable difference in handling/body roll?

Cheers,
    Kim

Wouldn't even worry about strut braces in the sedan for now - they won't do a hell of a lot, especially as you aren't putting the power to the ground like some of these guys.

Sway bars on the other hand will be an awesome package - theres quite a few threads in technical that you can check out, but I think that the general consensus is to have a thick one in the rear (your case maybe 20 -22mm?), and maybe an RS one in the front, or a 19mm wrx one if you can track it down. Also track down stronger links - the Whiteline steel ones are good, not worth paying the extra for the alloy ones imo.

And once you've done the sway bars/links, then a Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit (ALK) will be a good extra too... some reading on that in technical too.

I'd suggest trying out the search function a bit on these forums... can be damn useful!
    Subarus are like onions... they have layers... you fix one problem, and it exposes another!

CanAussie.com: For Aussies Travelling to Canada on a Working Holiday Permit

Hey Kim...

As Jaz said swaybars are great upgrades and a 19mm GT fozzie one will slot straight in where a wrx one will, i just happen to know someone who's got one!!

Also as you're on GTrydaz too, check out the Whiteline/ Noltec Group Buy section we have going. it's a constant group buy that's always running
    From that i got my Strut Braces for about $100 LESS than retail i could get in Hobart

And end links are an extra great little upgrade too..Stops the steering clunking from the 15 year old worn out bushes...And get the Extruded alloy ones...They're sexy!! But a little dearer
    Quote Originally Posted by rec01l
    Northern hemisphere engines rotated in the opposite direction, legacys included.
    This means they require an anti-timing belt and a different orientation on the water pump polariser

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz
    I'd suggest trying out the search function a bit on these forums... can be damn useful!
    Will do! Searched for "strut braces" and found a few things - but nothing that answered my questions. Will look at sway bars now!

Cheers,
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Robbks
    a 19mm GT fozzie one will slot straight in where a wrx one will, i just happen to know someone who's got one!!
    One for sale?

Will check out the GTrydaz group buy too. Ta!

How about some stock height king springs, they are much stiffer and you will still be able to get up your driveway! Combine them with RS shocks and you will have a winner.
    ~~~~~CALLAN~~~~~

Auspicious Prick! BIG POSTER dja's Avatar

I was going to suggest some late model sti springs, they can be had for $100 delivered a set now, and all you need is rear strut tops to make them adapt to the RS.
    There umpteen times better than most aftermarket springs, and they keep factory height.
    I'm Winston Wolf. I solve problems.
    My Ride: Here
    Stuff for sale HERE
    Mod Guide Here
    The old ride Here

RSLC Wh0re BIG POSTER

Don't underestimate the value of good quality shock absorbers, as well.
    test

Quote Originally Posted by dja
    I was going to suggest some late model sti springs, they can be had for $100 delivered a set now, and all you need is rear strut tops to make them adapt to the RS.
    There umpteen times better than most aftermarket springs, and they keep factory height.
    What do strut tops roughly cost? (n00bie question - do strut tops affect insurance/compliance?)

Kim

get a rear set for $50 tops.
    Of for about $400, you can get sti suspension(struts and springs) dollar for dollar it is without a doubt the best handling mod you can do to your car.
    I run 04sti suspension/struts, and the only thing that doesnt bolt up direct to the RS is the rear strut tops(you re-use your own). It maintains stock height, but its very stiff, and reacts well on the road.
    just my 2c mate... there are always cheaper options
    Stuff for sale HERE
    Mod Guide Here
    The old ride Here

Ahh ok, maybe that's the way to go. And this would apply to the non-RS? (I have a standard 1991 Liberty Heritage AWD).

yarp, if you put sti suspension in be warned its stiff, but far superior to kings etc mate.
    And it will make your car very nice to drive through the twisties at a legal speed limit, of course.
    Stuff for sale HERE
    Mod Guide Here
    The old ride Here

Would the STI springs be quite a bit lower than the standard Liberty springs?

Formerly "CaptainGX" BIG POSTER Jim's Avatar

Kim , i can certainly say if you can get a set of roughly 2004 Sti suspension gear, jump on it .. as dja says its definatly well worth it , i used to have the same in my car when it was non turbo and i had so much fun with the setup .. i do admit that i miss it , i have king lows with 2 dud shocks and its like driving a boat ..

Getting there Event Organiser dane's Avatar

I run 04sti suspension/struts, and the only thing that doesnt bolt up direct to the RS is the rear strut tops(you re-use your own). It maintains stock height, but its very stiff, and reacts well on the road.
    kim,

looks like they sit about stock height
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Ah, cool - missed that How stiff is "very stiff" - I don't want it to become too uncomfortable on bumpy roads/speed humps...

Getting there Event Organiser dane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    Ah, cool - missed that How stiff is "very stiff" - I don't want it to become too uncomfortable on bumpy roads/speed humps...
    As far as i know, they are stiff, but still comfortable enough. they're not as harsh as coilovers are if thats what you were gauging against...
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

I wonder if these ones being sold at the moment would suit:
    http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/...ad.php?t=70587

"Full set of STi Version 2 struts and springs . $300
    http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...n/DSC03180.jpg"

The above are 1996 STI struts and springs. I'm guessing these would fit without any problems? (found in the tech section that 1998 ones do - not sure about 96 tho?

Kim

Yep, should fit without any real problems... provided they are from a sedan?
    Subarus are like onions... they have layers... you fix one problem, and it exposes another!

CanAussie.com: For Aussies Travelling to Canada on a Working Holiday Permit

One of us BIG POSTER bigboyscottyb's Avatar

yer id go with dja's suggestion, i have wrx shocks (gc8) and king super lows, and its so bumpy its stupid

Would these fit the Gen1 series2 AWD sedan? eBay Link

Or would these ones? eBay link

Mate, forget it. get the struts.
    This will get my flamed, but for a GX the sti gear alone is almost overkill.
    Once you have the suspension, then maybe get your self a tower brace.
    youll flip at the change in ride quality mate.
    Stuff for sale HERE
    Mod Guide Here
    The old ride Here

Moderator BIG POSTER

Also the day after I installed a strut brace, my motor decided enough was enough, so I'd advise against a strut brace because it causes low compression.

True story.
    im not a doctor
    Mr. Miyagi didn't teach the Karate Kid to believe in himself. He taught him how to kick people in the fucking head.

Thread Information